Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2000 Legacy Outback Wagon with 156,000 miles on it. The infamous headgasket problem has struck me. I know I'm going to have to get it fixed soon. How much would a fair price be on getting a complete job with all the seals, possibly a new timing belt (had a new one and water pump put on at 100,000 miles), and a new clutch put in?

Hi and welcome.gif

What head gasket issue are you having?

I would go with a new OEM timing belt on that job too. It has to come off to do the head gaskets anyway; and it's maybe a $65 part which is small compared to the cost of the rest of the work.

The price on that amount of work is sure to vary widely, i.e. local shop, dealer etc., so I would guess $1200-$2200.

first - are you sure it's head gasket? i mean i'm not doubting you, they blow all the time, but best to make sure it's not something simple. also - make sure your car doesn't qualify for the extended headgasket warranty- though i think that's only to 100,000 miles but i forget the details, some 00+ vehicles are covered for head gaskets. worth a shot. bubbling in the overflow is a sure sign.

if it's bad do not drive it, the more you drive it the more you risk ruining your block down the road. if you're driving it you're also straining your internal bearings more and more and run the risk of future bottom end failure (not fixable without a complete rebuild) in the future. do a search on here and you'll find examples, someone just posted with a good one yesterday or today.

price varies - roughly $1,500 including the clutch. should even be able to get a dealer to do it for that much. the local dealer to me charges $1,500 for headgaskets and they are a bit high, other dealers i know charge around the $1,000 range and closer to $1,500 if you're doing a clutch too. can get a better deal with a private mechanic, just make sure they do it right.

if you do not go with Subaru make SURE you use the newer updated Subaru gasket and not something aftermarket.

I'm positive it's an external head gasket leak. What should I ask when getting estimates? I want to make sure I get the right head gaskets. Should I order the Subaru head gasket kit myself and ask the mechanic to use it? I know the kit comes with lot's of other gaskets, seals, etc. Will the person working on my car for sure use everything in the kit? What about a clutch? Should I order one too and ask the mechanic to use it? Or should I let them do all that? So between $1,500 and $2,000 is a fair and reasonable price for the head gaskets, timing belt, and clutch? I know it's a lot of questions, but I appreciate any help! Thanks!

$1,500 is an average, i'd only pay $2,000 if it's a noteworthy and reputable shop that you fully trust. i just posted a recommended (by a friend) shop in southern indiana, you could search for the thread if you'd like.

just make sure the headgasket is Subaru only. and MAKE SURE, if the mechanic doesn't know they may try and blow you off "yeah okay" and really they're thinking "like this guy knows, otherwise he wouldn't be bringing it here!". show up with the headgasket if you have too, they can source the clutch stuff just fine.

make sure they're replacing with an entire clutch kit - throw out bearing, pilot bearing, pressure plate, clutch and both retaining springs.

pick up the retaining springs (they always have them in stock) and the headgasket from the dealer and take them to the mechanic. the retaining springs don't come in the clutch kits i've purchased.