Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rebuild or buy a 1995 2.2L engine ???

My 95 Legacy has 267,000 miles on it and just threw a rod, at least that's what it sounds like. I just put a used 71,000 mile transmission/transaxle in it along with a new clutch assy including a new flywheel. The CV joints and brakes are 15,000 to 20,000 miles old and the body and interior are pretty good (better than average), I've had this car since day one. So my questions are. How much money in parts would a guy have if he rebuilt the engine? I know this depends alot on what parts are replaced. But, assume bearings, pistons, rings, gaskets/seals, oil and water pump, timing belt, new valve train, plugs and wires? Where is the best place to buy engine rebuild parts? Thanks in advance.

Ron

The most straightfoward route might be to run a used 2.2L. '95 might be tricky as Subaru started ODBII in '95 though it wasn't required until '96. For top of the line you could check out http://www.ccrengines.com

If you're planning to rebuild it yourself you could get parts from a Subaru dealer who sells parts online; there are many. However if it threw a rod do you have a hole in the block?

CCR is great...but you're in alaska so shipping would be outrageous

I would look around at local J-yards for a running used engine. Again, go cheap cause there are so many miles on the body. 2.2L are pretty reliable as you know (267K miles) so maybe look around for a ~100k block

The most straightfoward route might be to run a used 2.2L. '95 might be tricky as Subaru started ODBII in '95 though it wasn't required until '96. For top of the line you could check out http://www.ccrengines.com

If you're planning to rebuild it yourself you could get parts from a Subaru dealer who sells parts online; there are many. However if it threw a rod do you have a hole in the block?

Thanks for the input. I've looked for used engines, and there a few around here but all are high mileage units. Subarus' are very popular here in the North country so parts are somewhat hard to find and expensive when you do find them.

Ron

are engines and subarus expensive where you are? i'd just buy a used engine or a newer lower mileage car, but they are cheap around here. is their any rust on the vehicle? at 267,000 miles i wouldn't put that much money or a new motor into it myeslf.

Yes, Subarus' are expensive around here and even the older models hold their value quite well. There is no external rust what so ever on this Subaru. I'm the orginal owner and it has been well maintained over the years. I understand what you're saying about not putting too much time and money into a car with 267,000 miles on it. Thanks for your input.

Ron

CCR is great...but you're in alaska so shipping would be outrageous

I would look around at local J-yards for a running used engine. Again, go cheap cause there are so many miles on the body. 2.2L are pretty reliable as you know (267K miles) so maybe look around for a ~100k block

I'm a lookin but good low mileage engines are hard to find. The only one available right now has 193,000 miles on it and they want $445. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Ron

I put a grand into a headgasket job using OEM-only parts, and that was just for gaskets, water pump, timing belt, tensioner, and minimal work by a machine shop to check the heads, and ME doing all the labor (with exception of machine shop checking heads). I could easily see $1500 for a basic engine rebuild with OEM parts and doing the work yourself. I also think you'd be better off looking for a used 2.2L (getting hard to find because people use them instead of fixing a 2.5L). Try http://www.car-part.com and take a look around. Also try junkyarddog.com and fill out a request.

Off topic, but...

anybody who lives in Alaska should become a "known shipper" with Alaska Airlines. We did it and we found it's like $300 cheaper than BAX to ship from Denver to AK.

Everybody I know in Alaska has to have stuff shipped in from time to time, so it's definitely worth checking out.

The process isn't bad either, just takes some time.

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com

Off topic, but...

anybody who lives in Alaska should become a "known shipper" with Alaska Airlines. We did it and we found it's like $300 cheaper than BAX to ship from Denver to AK.

Everybody I know in Alaska has to have stuff shipped in from time to time, so it's definitely worth checking out.

The process isn't bad either, just takes some time.

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com

Thanks ccrinc I'll look into it.

Ron