Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Super common for the bulbs to blow out on the AC controls. You can pull the assembly and replace the bulbs pretty easily. Search and you can find info on that. As for the shifter it's probably just a bulb or two as well. I don't have much experiance with anything relating to automatics.

Keith

Yea, I have the same problem with some of the lights burned out on the climate controls. I read about how to take apart to fix, but it seemed like more throuble then it is worth, so I live with only partial lighting.

Regarding the back lighting on the auto trany shifter, I replaced the bulb on a 91 Legacy years back. I made a mess of some of the plastic cover work around the shift lever, as some small pieces of plastic split and broke off. Everything went back together pretty well, and cosmetically looked okay, but I wasn't proud of my work cracking the plastic cover.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2498&page=1&pp=10&highlight=climate+control+backlight

Depending on your comfort level, changing the climate bulbs should be very easy. Hardest part is taking off the dash panels, and even that is simple.

Be sure to disconnect the control cable at the floor, and not at the climate unit.

I just replaced all three bulbs in the HVAC panel in my 1998 Legacy L. Just follow the instructions in the links in the previous post. It is quite straightforward. I did it in less than an hour, working slowly.

The Radio Shack bulbs work just fine. I did make them "longer" to match the old bulbs by using a small length of the empty end of the plastic ink tube from a cheap ball point pen. One tip I can add is that after you have them in the Subaru holders, test them with a 9 volt battery before you trim the wire leads. It's nice to be confident they work before you put them in.