Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wow, what a nice small coupe, very exciting! Styling looks very European, maybe Italian design with a Subie nose. I really like the lines of this design; they are very intergrated into a very pleasant overall shape. Is this just a styling exercise, or is it a Subie show car? Whatever, I would like to see more of this? Any more pics, write up or info?

Obviously out-of-date, since the Edsel inspired 'pigsnout' has been retired to the dustbin, which it so richly deserves.

I'd guess that this is a retread styling exercise that is still floating around the web ... but then, who knows?

I DO know that Subaru seriously needs two (02) things very quickly (and VERY much in the US market, not just Asia and Europe):

1. A diesel

2. A hybrid

If they dont get their shyte together and produce Subaru versions of those vehicle platforms say good-bye to the Marque (Can YOU say DeSoto, Nash, Oldsmobile) ... all cars that couldn't change to suit the marketplace in their time.

Well, Subaru the times they are a'changin' and you'd better play catchup toot sweet, or sayonara (just to mix my linguistic metaphors).

Obviously out-of-date, since the Edsel inspired 'pigsnout' has been retired to the dustbin, which it so richly deserves.

I'd guess that this is a retread styling exercise that is still floating around the web ... but then, who knows?

I DO know that Subaru seriously needs two (02) things very quickly (and VERY much in the US market, not just Asia and Europe):

1. A diesel

2. A hybrid

If they dont get their shyte together and produce Subaru versions of those vehicle platforms say good-bye to the Marque (Can YOU say DeSoto, Nash, Oldsmobile) ... all cars that couldn't change to suit the marketplace in their time.

Well, Subaru the times they are a'changin' and you'd better play catchup toot sweet, or sayonara (just to mix my linguistic metaphors).

I think it's the other way around.

Subaru has always been a lower volume manufacturer that appeals to people who like something different. The new Impreza for example is way too mainstream looking, to me it looks like a Mazda or something.

I think they risk losing longtime customers because the cars are losing what makes a Subaru unique.

Hybrids are a joke, it would take so long to realize the savings in fuel cost vs. the initial extra expense it's not even worth it. Diesel is also a waste for the same reasons, they might get slighly higher mileage but then you have the initial extra cash outlay to get one and diesel fuel cost more than gas. It's even more expensive for the new low sulphur diesel.

mazda 3, thats what I thought the thing was when I saw the first commercial for it, and I even knew what it looked like before the commercial, It looks nothing like a subaru, man, where did subaru go wrong, oh hehe I know, it was the body after the GC :). Subarus are far from ordinary cars, I do belive that is why people buy them, although I think they are trying too hard to look like everyone else, they just need to keep up what theve always tried to do; make a reasonably priced, well styled, decent gas mileage, good powered, safe, and EXTREEMLY reliable car. hehehe ok, so its a long list.

Did some searching and found out "the Subaru B11S was unveiled at the 73rd (2003) International Geneva Motor Show." The front grill looks very much like that used on the Tribeca.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/112_news030304_sub/

Combining sophisticated sporty design with ample interior space, the Subaru B11S represents a new type of four-door coupe. While it was developed to demonstrate FHI's future design direction and its strengthened design capabilities, the Subaru B11S also promises superb driving performance, ensured by a five-speed transmission with VTD (variable torque distribution, Subaru's unique, electronically controlled torque distribution system), symmetrical AWD, and a horizontally-opposed six-cylinder engine.

Hybrids are a joke, it would take so long to realize the savings in fuel cost vs. the initial extra expense it's not even worth it.

What other car gets 50 MPG in town? I know there are way cheaper cars, like the Yaris, that get ~40ish on the highway (Prius is rated 48 city / 45 highway, but they are capable of 50+) but they only get 25-28 or so in town... And the hybrid stuff is getting cheaper

Also, it's not solely about the fuel savings. When you're sitting at a light, the engine shuts off (unless the hybrid battery's charge is low), so you aren't dumping crap into the atmosphere or wasting fuel. Yeah, based solely on fuel savings, the cost of a $24,000 bottom-end Prius isn't all that worth it when you consider a bottom-end Yaris sedan is 12k and it gets pretty decent milege (27/38)

What other car gets 50 MPG in town? I know there are way cheaper cars, like the Yaris, that get ~40ish on the highway (Prius is rated 48 city / 45 highway, but they are capable of 50+) but they only get 25-28 or so in town... And the hybrid stuff is getting cheaper

Also, it's not solely about the fuel savings. When you're sitting at a light, the engine shuts off (unless the hybrid battery's charge is low), so you aren't dumping crap into the atmosphere or wasting fuel. Yeah, based solely on fuel savings, the cost of a $24,000 bottom-end Prius isn't all that worth it when you consider a bottom-end Yaris sedan is 12k and it gets pretty decent milege (27/38)

So owning a Prius makes it righteous to sit at lights in city trafffic?

I think what Subaru needs to make is a US legal utility van on the order of a smaller Sprinter in the tradition of the 360 van. Build in on the tribeca platorm but put a 2.2 litere in it.

If they build a diesel it should be first for a truck to prove out the casting design.