Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF Dexron 3 not as common these days? I tried autozone, walmart, fred meyer, shucks autoparts and they all only had mobil 1 synthetic mercon V ATF(multi vehicle use). I had changed my fluid to Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF Dexron 3 a couple years ago and need to do another drain and fill but can't seem to locate this anywhere convenient.

I will try pepboys tomorrow but was wondering if it has been discontibued or just difficult to locate. BTW, I'm seaching for it around the seattle area.

Look at the label carefully. GM is not renewing Dexron licenses anymore, so products will start saying 'for applications formerly calling for dexron' etc. (They can't really say Dexron without the license). Or check out mobil1 web site it will tell you the applications for all the products.

Look at the label carefully. GM is not renewing Dexron licenses anymore, so products will start saying 'for applications formerly calling for dexron' etc. (They can't really say Dexron without the license). Or check out mobil1 web site it will tell you the applications for all the products.

This is what the bottle looks like http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Other_Products/Mobil_1_Synthetic_ATF.aspx but it did not state dexron 3 in the front and said for multi-vehicle use and mercon V on the outside. It does say outperforms conventional ATF and meets GM Dexron 3 and Ford's Mercon and Mercon V requirements.

When I bought it the last time, I thought it said dexron 3 on the outside so that's what I was looking for.

So it's the same thing but the label has changed?

Maybe contact them and ask it if it is still suitable for applications that called for Dexron II/III. I imagine it is; they just can't print it on the bottle anymore because GM has not renewed licensing for blenders for that product. The web page link you posted still says Dexron II/III, but it's hard to see on the bottle label if it says that as the image is small. I can see Mercon V listed.

Their current specification is Dexron-VI, backward-compatible, and that's what they're licensing for the aftermarket.

Mobil 1 is not yet on their list:

http://www.gm.com/explore/technology/gmpowertrain/transmissions/DEXRON_VI_Service_Fill_Release_31MY07.doc

This is similar to the change from ATF+3 to ATF+4 by Chrysler.

I currently have Mobil 1 synthetic ATF dexron III in my tranny right now and it is a little low. What are my options of topping it off? I am not planning a fluid change till late next year or the year after.

If you cannot find this fluid, or regular Mobil, in a re-labeled form,

I believe you can use a different brand. That's what happened two

times in the past when I had the fluid changed by a dealer shop.

They'd just drain and refill with what they had. Different brands of

the same type of fluid are supposed to mix with each other.

If you cannot find this fluid, or regular Mobil, in a re-labeled form,

I believe you can use a different brand. That's what happened two

times in the past when I had the fluid changed by a dealer shop.

They'd just drain and refill with what they had. Different brands of

the same type of fluid are supposed to mix with each other.

Since I couldn't find any other dexron III synthetic fluid from various brands, i went ahead and bought the Syn ATF that shows mercon v in front. the description in the back says that it's compatible for dexron III. The fluid smells and looks very similar to what the original mobil 1 dexron III syn ATF so I think it's probably the same thing but re packaged.

I went around to many different stores and found that syn atf is very difficult to find. and you won't find any dexron III atf of any brand cause the licence has expired as porcupine 73 mentioned a few posts up.