Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bigger Aftermarket Brat / EA81 front sway bar??

Hmmm......

Just from the pic and remembering what mine looks like.

It does look to be bigger. And it looks the same shape as mine. (too lazy to go out and look at it, it's sitting on the garage floor :rolleyes: )

Could be good for those with lowered rides, or looking for less roll.

Think I'd try to come up with a rear bar first though. (would have to be fabbed from another car?)

Personally I found my GL RallyCrosses and runs trails better with no bar at all. (more front bite in corners, more flex off-road)

Good find though, I'm sure someone will dig that. :)

Ok, got off my butt. The bar off my GL is about .8"

I've been keeping an eye on this item on ebay... Just waiting for proper fundage to arrive. It is SLIGHTLY larger than a factory EA81 AT front anti-roll bar.

I also agree that a rear bar will have a greater noticable effect on the chassis balance, but I have been advised that on cars with poor front camber having a roll bar that is traditionally "too stiff" will help to keep the front end from leaning too much, actually improving front end grip.

I also agree that a rear bar will have a greater noticable effect on the chassis balance, but I have been advised that on cars with poor front camber having a roll bar that is traditionally "too stiff" will help to keep the front end from leaning too much, actually improving front end grip.

I see your point on that.

Not 100% sure if I got a real improvement for R.C or not, feels better, but that's just seat of the pants type tuning there. hehe.

It helped a ton off-road though, so I leave it off. :)

Plus I'm in the ever popular AWD stock class and though I pulled 3rd overall last (last) year with another car I don't hope for much with the GL. Just fun. I can be only one second behind the first place guy that day overall, and still be in 11th. :grin:

Only running time only at this point.

I say that bigger front bar, plus some sort of bar for the rear. Would proly be rockin' for corners.

There is between 2WD and 4WD though. It's mostly in the exhaust "bump"..... which in their picture on that auction looks to be on the wrong side??

GD

I just took a look at mine.

You're right the hump is on the wrong side. And its way smaller than the one on my bar. (for reference mine is for a GL, D/R, manual)

They could just have the pic flipped... maybe.

Johnson']That's cool.

HAH ...pickup!? I don't think they were imported as a truck...due to tariffs...I heard they were an open back car hence the jumpseats.

Mine states on the title that it is a truck. Needed to put truck plate on it here in wisconsin. Lady at the dmv wasn't about to listen to my protests as truck plates cost more.

Mine states on the title that it is a truck. Needed to put truck plate on it here in wisconsin. Lady at the dmv wasn't about to listen to my protests as truck plates cost more.

Same here!! I went through the same situation with the MO DMV a while ago... made me register it as a truck seeing as someone in the past had it titled as such... I *could* fight it I spose but probably not worth the hassle

Here's the deal:

77 to 85 were imported as "cars" using the bolt-in rear seats as a "loophole" into the passenger car tariff.

86/87 were imported as "trucks". No rear seats. Subaru had a rash of litigation involving the rear seats and fatal roll-over accidents. They removed the seats in 86 and 87 then pulled the Brat from the US market as it was no longer economical for them to sell it here due to the much higher tax on truck imports. They were produced variously in other countries till 94.

GD

Here's the deal:

77 to 85 were imported as "cars" using the bolt-in rear seats as a "loophole" into the passenger car tariff.

86/87 were imported as "trucks". No rear seats. Subaru had a rash of litigation involving the rear seats and fatal roll-over accidents. They removed the seats in 86 and 87 then pulled the Brat from the US market as it was no longer economical for them to sell it here due to the much higher tax on truck imports. They were produced variously in other countries till 94.

GD

A 1994 Brat would be worth it's weight in gold. Not really, but you know what I mean!