Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The rusty wagons back on the road!

Woo Hoo:banana: Got the clutch in this thing, cleaned up the inside, and got the thing insured and re-registered!

Gave it a much needed tune up today, and man, its one happy car now. Just need to replace the junk reman axles and I'll be ready for the dirt again.

Just thought I'd share.

It always feels good to get a ride back on the road. Is that the wagon in your pics? Doesn't look that rusty, does it have frame rail rot? The lights on the front bumper sure do look good.

Judging by your pics, I think it's about time for a D/R swap and a lift. :grin:

I'm still looking for a wagon to lift, mine's a turbo with a 4EAT but if the engine ever blows it's getting a 2.2. It's an excellent candidate, very little rust and all. Have fun with the rusty wagon.

doesn't really sound like you NEEDED to park it to do the needed work.. unless you have a problem running around for a little bit with mismatched fenders or something. In that case, just find a good rustoleum or rattlecan match, use a flat or matte finish if needed to more closely math the color of the car, and just give them a quicke 50/50 job. That means that it looks okay, and doesnt stand out, looking from a distance of fifty feet, while the cars moving 50 mph. Good enough for the time being. As for the D/R swap, there are plenty of little buildup tasks that can be done without any downtime on the car; that can be done to make the actual trans swap more of a daylong/weekend thing.

Just saying, that DDing it doesn't have to preclude the fender and trans swaps, and most of those tasks can have lots of little bites taken out of them in spare time, leading up to the swap. Using that kind of method simplifies these old car "resto-mod" projects. Course, if you already know that, then I'll go back to my little corner and shut up :-p

doesn't really sound like you NEEDED to park it to do the needed work.. unless you have a problem running around for a little bit with mismatched fenders or something. In that case, just find a good rustoleum or rattlecan match, use a flat or matte finish if needed to more closely math the color of the car, and just give them a quicke 50/50 job. That means that it looks okay, and doesnt stand out, looking from a distance of fifty feet, while the cars moving 50 mph. Good enough for the time being. As for the D/R swap, there are plenty of little buildup tasks that can be done without any downtime on the car; that can be done to make the actual trans swap more of a daylong/weekend thing.

Just saying, that DDing it doesn't have to preclude the fender and trans swaps, and most of those tasks can have lots of little bites taken out of them in spare time, leading up to the swap. Using that kind of method simplifies these old car "resto-mod" projects. Course, if you already know that, then I'll go back to my little corner and shut up :-p

I don't care what the fenders look like. I'm kind of waiting for the day they rattle off running through the woods. I parked it cause it needed a clutch, and a few other things to be more road worthy, and had got a Honda for the 300 bucks, so I was going to save up some $$$ for a new tranny, lift, wheels and tires for the wagon and use it for a play thing. Don't care what the body really looks like(I need to get a recent picture up) seeing as I use this thing to drag logs out of the woods, among other things.

I don't care what the fenders look like. I'm kind of waiting for the day they rattle off running through the woods. I parked it cause it needed a clutch, and a few other things to be more road worthy, and had got a Honda for the 300 bucks, so I was going to save up some $$$ for a new tranny, lift, wheels and tires for the wagon and use it for a play thing. Don't care what the body really looks like(I need to get a recent picture up) seeing as I use this thing to drag logs out of the woods, among other things.

Cool.. I just was trying to encourage you to keep up on it even tho its now the DD.

I know what a pain it can be to try and restore your daily driver, and I was empathizing.