Ultimate Subaru Message Board

coolant hi/low, to close to hot, to then drop, then back

I don't think I have a blown head gasket, but a little leak I saw at the bottom of the head one time, not since.

She stays full of coolant, I just don't like seeing the needle get close to hot, then go down to below 1/2, to then get close to hot a few minutes later.. and I mean CLOSE!

I am going to do a thermostat swap tomorrow, and probably a radiator cap, as it appears it has the original on there (177k miles on it).

Could this be a problem with the radiator, or maybe, I should go ahead and change the head gaskets (I swear no white smoke/steam, except when first started early in the morning, but dissapears after a couple of minutes, so it must be just condensation).

Let me know!

/mike

i would start by replacing the thermostat and radiator cap.

unless it's relatively new the radiator will be suspect as well. after all these years there's no telling what the insides look like but it could easily have significant blockages.

it could also be a slipping belt, as it drives the water pump. if you hear any squealing or have alternator/electrical issues then this may point to the belt.

also the crank pulley/harmonic balancer could be slipping as well. they have a thin rubber ring in them and it can separate from the metal so the outer most part of the pulley (that the belt rides on), does not turn properly with the actual crank - therefore your water pump and other accessories won't turn as fast as they should. you should also get electrical/alternator issues with this.