Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EG33 into '00 Outback? Wiring? Tranny?

I may have found an SVX with a bad interior and bad tranny, so...

3.3L Outback? (Don't bash and tell me not to destroy the SVX...I like them and all, but I need five seats and wagon versatility)

So would the WRX 5-speed or STi 6-speed be viable options? I know that those are common swaps into the SVXes, so all should be well in an EJ-series car, right?

Also, what should I worry about as far as wiring is concerned? (I might have to hire someone to wire it up for me, I've never done this before)

Thanks, guys,

- Tyler

(I know I have a similar thread out there concerning an EZ30, but go ahead and give this on attention, too. I'm weighing options, here.)

Depends on what EZ30 you get as far as power. The early non-AVCS EZ30s made 212hp, less than the EG33, but the later AVCS EZ30s (people incorrectly refer to them as EZ30Rs) have 250hp.

Dunno what your inspection laws are, but I've heard that it's illegal to put an older engine into a newer car.

The wiring would be hairy, as would be the 6-speed install. The DCCD would be a nightmare in itself.

but I've heard that it's illegal to put an older engine into a newer car.
well technically it varies by state and some states you can only swap the exact engine that was originally in there.

but they do not check or verify that, ever. you get tested (emissions or whatever your state does) and you either pass or fail and come back to try again another day. that's why people do motor swaps all the time, not just in Subaru's, because it's not a law that is applied.

Who is this character that saddled up and conquered the DCCD? Having that in my Outback would be a dream come true (dreams of drifting it with 300 HP on mostly RWD are filling my head)!

So, what do I do? The EG33 is cheaper, and more people have made big power with them...the EZ is smaller and has more power in stock form (the late ones, at least) but is uber-expensive.

What about the tranny to the EZ? Has the 6-speed to EZ been done?