Ultimate Subaru Message Board

obd2 connector swap 95>96 legacy

i have a 95 legacy with obd2 but it requires an connectoin adapter for the reader which our parts stores don't have handy which requires a shop visit. i also have a 96 leg wagon obd2 donor car. do you think i can swap the connector fronm the 96 into the 95 without any headache? would i have to swap the ecu as well? any experience with this?

does any one know if the 96 uses a connection adapter.? i bought it wrecked and pulled parts, never drove or serviced it and i it's stored 45 min. away.

thanks for any info!!

my son drives it at college and i sent him into advance auto to get the codes read. well, they do not have the adapter, neither did autozone. the shop i used in richmond could read the codes, they did have the adapter. so i'm wondering, as porcupine said, if the pinouts on the ecu are the same, i could swap the connection port and then it would be standard, obd2. the obd2 readers will read the codes, but the connection is different.

to the best of my knowledge we don't have emmision testing in this part of VA. so a swap of the ECU and the connector might be a solution. if a 95 ej22 will run in a 97 OBW with out any cel, i don't see why the 96 ecu wouldn't swap into a 95 leg. but who knows? i think the 95 has only one o2 sensor, that could be a problem for the 96 ECU i guess.

my understanding of the 95 was that subaru went obd2 a year earlier than required, or maybe went a half step closer than obd1. but didn't go to the standard connection port until 96, but i'm not even sure the 96 connector is standard. but since obd2 was required in 96 i assume it is.

http://www.obdii.com/connector.html

according to this, the connector should be the OBD2 type and the 1995 subaru is only OBD2 compliant if it is A/T.

I have never worked on the 95 subes though so I don't know what your connector looks like

thanks for the link. i read through the information and have come to the conclusion that the 95 and 96 connectors are the same. apparently whats different from most american cars is the communication protocol. different protocols use different pin configurations.

it's hard to believe that the parts stores don't have the necessary item to read the codes.

thanks again for the info.

john

The parts store people probably are just assuming since OBD-II is 96+ that it won't work, but there are a lot of cars that were OBD-II compliant in 95, including the Scoob.

Only thing that might make a difference is if it's US built or Japan built...

OBD-II port looks like this:

obdII_connector_423x317.jpg

I can't find a picture of the Subaru diagnostic port used on the older cars.. the OBDII port will be attached to the dash under the steering column, but the OBD-I port will just be dangling under the dash, it's square and I THINK it is a bone colored connector.