Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine Swap Questions for 98 OBW

I might be in a market for a newer engine for my 98 obw w/MT, haven't decided between that and rebuilding mine, which need a valve job, new seals, timing belt, etc...

I have a few questions, and if any soobie gurus can help out that would be great!

1. Is every OBW in 98 a phase I engine?

2. Mine obw is MT, do I have to find a MT specific engine? or can the AT engine work as well?

3. I've been seeing a lot of Japanese imported phase I engines with lower miles, would those work as far as emissions goes, and just general compatiblility with an US car?

Thanks a lot in advance!!

Ben

are you sure you need a new engine? timing belts and valve seals aren't that big of a deal. those could be fixed for the cost of the engine purchase and install easily. AND the bigger issue is that while doing the valve job you could install the new updated headgasket - i would never put all the money out for a used EJ25, you're just inheriting a high risk potential head gasket failure, not worth that kind of money to me. do yours with new Subaru head gaskets and call it a day??

yeah you just want an EJ25, doesn't even have to be a 1998. if it's not a direct swap (which most are), all you have to do is bolt your intake manifold onto the new engine. the intake manifold has the wiring connectors, sensors and all the electrical gizmo's on it, so that makes swapping easy. 1996-2003 EJ25 should be fine...probably even later.

for the JDM you may have to swap your intake manifold, the on i did (though not an EJ25 but it was a subaru) had completely different and unrelated wiring and connectors. swapped the intake manifold and all was good. or techincally you could go through the effort of swapping your engine wiring harness onto the JDM intake manifold, but swapping manifolds is easier. either way, there's nothing crazy about the JDM motors in terms of making them work.

doesn't matter automatic to manual. the only time that matters is if you're installing an EJ22.

One big question, how many miles are on this engine? So far you havent really stated any reason thats valid for buying an unknown engine.

Are you the original owner?

nipper

Hi thanks for the replies.

The engine I have right now has 160k...with all new wiring,plugs, distributor but the #4 cylinder is still misfiring.

I was thinking about pulling the motor out and do the valve job, timing belt, HG all at the same time, but after thinking about the cost for all that and compare it to a used lower mileage engine its not that big of a difference.

In my experience, getting a lower mileage engine is more reliable than rebuilding a higher mileage one.

What do you guys think?

Thanks again!

Hi. If you do the swap and want 2.5L I'd stay with the phase I dohc you have. Going 99/00+ phase II 2.5L you would need to swap the ECU as well I would imagine, and the throttle body and intake manifold, as the phase II uses the MAP speed density airflow setup vs. the MAF of the phase I, which then would add some wiring work?. Cam and crank angle sensor signals might be different too.

The phase I 2.5L's are all what, say at least 8 years old at this point, so finding a low mileage one might not be easy, plus it still wouldn't be a bad idea to put in at least new HG's while the engine is out.

I was thinking about pulling the motor out and do the valve job, timing belt, HG all at the same time,
this is your best bet. are you aware of the EJ25 head gasket issues, it seems like you are not? buying a used motor and you're buying used and probably original head gaskets.

at this point your money is best spent maintaining the otherwise known good engine that you have now. i would much rather have your 160,000 mile engine with new updated head gaskets than a "lower mileage" engine with no known history and the original problematic head gaskets. it's a no-brainer really. make sure you have everything done...not just the timing belts but have the water pump, pulleys and tensioners replaced (the ebay kits will save you hundreds here, the Subaru prices on pulleys are ridiculous). do this and you'll have an engine easily capable of another 100,000 miles. even a used motor that's nearing 10 years old should have all or most of these items checked and replaced, so you're not saving much by getting used here.

if you'd like a lower mileage or new engine go with CCR, they are spendy but you get what you pay for. the best rebuilt Subaru engine you can buy with stellar customer service and an outstanding warranty. 3 years 36,000 miles i believe.

up above is a dark gray line with a "Search" button in it. click on the arrow, click on advanced search options. type in "head gasket" or "headgasket" and click on New Generation for your search. notice all the EJ25 headgasket threads, they are common.

GROSSGARY: Thanks alot for the replies!

I am aware of the HG issues with the phase I 2.5 motors, but I didn't realize it was that big of an issue even for a lower mileage motor? By doing a little research, its looking more and more like I will be rebuilding this one.

Is there any other problematic areas on this motor I should check out while I have the motor out? And what would you guys recommend replacing on it?

Its been alot of help!! Thanks!!

GROSSGARY: Thanks alot for the replies!

I am aware of the HG issues with the phase I 2.5 motors, but I didn't realize it was that big of an issue even for a lower mileage motor? By doing a little research, its looking more and more like I will be rebuilding this one.

Is there any other problematic areas on this motor I should check out while I have the motor out? And what would you guys recommend replacing on it?

Its been alot of help!! Thanks!!

One thing that is never on any list, the Plastic seperator plate on the back of the engine. Replace it with a metal one if you are removing the engine.

nipper