Ultimate Subaru Message Board

carbed EJ18 misfiring and stumbling

My carb an distributor ej18 has developed a misfire/stumble at under about 2500rpm and low vacuum/open throttle.

it was running great until i drove over some very soft sand and had to hold nearly wide open throttle in 1st gear for about 1 & a half minutes to keep moving....once back on a hard surface and less rpms this misfire appeared

it starts and idles perfectly and revs all the way to redline while stationary without a problem, the misfire is most pronounced in 3rd,4th&5th gear below 2500rpm under fairly heavy throttle

at over 2500rpm(on the road) it runs like a champ from only having the throttle open enough to hold 2500rpm right up to WOT.

i thought it was the coil breaking down so swapped that for a new one that i had....that made no difference. I also cleaned the contacts on disty cap and rotor (i can't get new one's at short notice),and checked the plug gap.

after doing that i took it for a test lap....and its now backfiring as welli'm

starting to run out of ideas of what the culprit is....anyone have any suspects?

Thanks