Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rust repair: You don't have an excuse not to. Now with working photos.

Nug

Virginia State Inspection laws are kind of strict. My buddy Robby was warned that his Brat would not pass unless some of his rust spots were fixed. This is the $210 Brat, which you can easily search about and read that whole saga.

Dat's my boyyyyyy

robby1.jpg

Oh.robby2.jpg

robby3.jpg

Ungh.

robby4.jpg

ewww.

robby5.jpg

Barf. Behind the passenger seat. Good place to start.

robby6.jpg

A weld weld here...

robby7.jpg

And a weld weld there...

robby8.jpg

*Glug*

robby9.jpg

Cuttin some stock

robby10.jpg

Here a weld, there a weld,

robby12.jpg

Everywhere a weld weld. Cold galvanizing compound dug out of the hazmat bin at work.

robby11.jpg

A mouse-chewed superhighway.

robby13.jpg

Me with a broken finger, having welded for an hour. I'm trying to flip off those of you that think welding (or owning a welder) is out of your realm.

The end.

not to hijack this thread, but, West Point, Virginia guy,, I need some help fixing a couple of rust spots underneath, and it appears you are "da man", and, you are only 1 1/2 hours from me...

any such luck in assistance to fix a couple of spots.. nothing major, but one spot does require a welder (behind back wheel on "frame" member support, big 'ol' rust hole...

thanks dude!!

/mike

mikldom@yahoo.com

just be careful not to pull up the tar from the floors, you might not like what you find. i thought my brat only had a few rust holes in the areas behind the seats, then it turned out to be the entire section under the seat where the floor is attached to the floor support under the car. the "rust proofing" rubber undercoating actually traps the water between the floor and the support and thus it rusts like there is no tomarrow.

DSCF0496.jpg

DSCF0497.jpg

DSCF0501.jpg

notice that you can see day light behind the door sill chunk, there is not rocker left on that side. i guess there would be if i could get the little bits done, lol.

good pics and show and tell here.

I gotta question, and here goes:

for the rustout of Brats on the floorboards behind the seats......does it start from underneath the car (saltspray), or from water leaking through the fun tops and then sitting on the tops of the floor pans??????

My Brat has zero rust in this area, and i want to find out how it starts to prevent it...thanks

I should post pics of how I blocked off the rear shock support mounts to prevent rust in there.

good pics and show and tell here.

I gotta question, and here goes:

for the rustout of Brats on the floorboards behind the seats......does it start from underneath the car (saltspray), or from water leaking through the fun tops and then sitting on the tops of the floor pans??????

My Brat has zero rust in this area, and i want to find out how it starts to prevent it...thanks

I should post pics of how I blocked off the rear shock support mounts to prevent rust in there.

Part of the problem is there is a subframe connector under there (outside) that traps dirt and water. There is a drain, but it clogs. The moisture sits on the metal until it rusts through, then it soaks the insulation on the floor and it never dries. Also, I'm not convinced the seam sealer they used is very good. Finally, the undercoating, when compromised, holds moisture against the metal just like the wet insulation inside.