Ultimate Subaru Message Board

O K first off, I should have been more clear in my question, but let me say thank you to that wonderful advice and inciteful knowledge tidbit about a slipping clutch needing replacement........wow thanks!:cool: Actually I was wondering if letting a clutch go that bad off would do anything unusual to the other componets involved, clutch pedel, clutch cable, clutch fork, clutch return spring, hillholder cable, pilot bearing, flywheel, clutch disk, pressureplate, throwout bearing, throwout bearing clips, tranny input shaft, tranny, driveline,....... muffler bearings, stereo,high compression fender bolts, this, that, the other thing, blah blah.

:horse: Sorry for the rant there boys/girls! Something to think about when answering posts on this board, alot of us allready know what we are doing, we just want to gain more knowledge of tasks at hand. This is a great resource for information and I really appreciate the helpful info I gain here.:):):)

Well when you replace a clutch you replace the disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing, and replace/resurface the flywheel, so even though you arent doing some of those parts any favors, they normally get replaced anyway.

Everything else on your list your not hurting.

Muffler bearings and blinker fluid will be fine. It may be time to switch to to winter air in the tires though :P

nipper

If you can afford it go with a new flywheel.I had mine resurfaced and while it works I don't like the feel and I was warned about this by the machine shop who did the turning.My clutch had also gotten pretty bad and it was getting hard to get it into first and shift up to third but it would still move and it didn't affect the hill hugger at all.Also stay away from the auto zone checker auto style clutches,they may be cheap and have good warranties but they don't cover the labor headache.The actual mechanics of doing the work yourself is fairly straight forward if you've got some skill,otherwise let a reputable shop do it.

I bought a legacy whose clutch was so bad you could start it in gear if desired. ie, it was gone!

I suspect that if you do the job yourself, your will find, and if others do the job, they will find, LOTS AND LOTS of fluffy stuff,black stuff, and various other shot clutch stuff. :dead: .

But it does nothing to affect the rest of the vehicle. But....... I would replace your tranny fluid. Its old, and because your clutch has been slipping so long, you have put undue wear upon it.

I've replaced many clutches that have completely failed - usually there's nothing needed beyond a normal clutch replacement other than a lot of cleaning as the disc will have completely disitigrated on one side.

Occasionally the side that got destroyed was the flywheel side (usually not though) and this can cause damage to the flywheel disc surface from the exposed disc rivets. Sometimes it's possible to resurface them and sometimes not. If you can't hear metal-on-metal then it's problably fine.

GD

I would like to add if I may be so bold?

If you choose to have the flywheel surfaced.

Make sure the machine shop you use knows

how to turn a Subaru flywheel.

"????? " you say.

Notice the flywheel I am getting ready to turn in the

shot below.

The "step" between the disc surface and

where the pressure plate mounts

must be maintained to factory specs..

Too large -> clutch slip

Too small -> clutch not dis-engaging

e.g.: -> = (may result in)

Hope this helps, please excuse my intrusion