Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Missing?, carb fubar'd?, something else? EA81 HELP!!!

First off, had a problem with AIV failed, - fixed

Top Radiator hose got hole, dumped coolant everywhere, including intake - fixed, including new air filter

Plug wires arcing - new wires installed

arcing from the posts of the coil, to the insulated stem - brand new coil

Still missing with not much power except over 3k rpm. she acts like its missing and bucking like crazy! will get up to speed but now power to speak of and still bucking and at 4k rpm!

looking down the throat of the carb, it is clean, and fluctuating the throttle, I see plenty of fuel going in there.

it appears that if I spray some carb cleaner out of the can in the carb, it will run ok for about 5 minutes.

next up, fuel filters, maybe fuel pump?

I am sick and tired of shooting in the dark! and it is getting expensive!!

should I check compression on the cylinders? It is not using ANY coolant!, no oil, no steam

in the dark, with new wires even, I can see light 'popping' but no noise around the base of the left (passenger side), two spark plug boots.

new plugs were installed with less than 1k miles on them, but I will try some new ngk's as they are cheap enough.

HELP! am I needing a carb? I am almost at wit's end!

thanks in advance!

/mike

When u say missing, do u mean that when you give it some gas it hessitates and idles rough? How does it idle without u giving it gas? If it idles fine and only hessitates and misses when u give it gas i would be pointed in the direction of a few things. the carb is a possiblility but im willing to rule it out if you can look down it and see fuel getting to the motor without a problem. If the carb wasnt giving you problems before i dont see why it would now. I would replace the fuel filters if you have never done that before as they are cheap and may help more than you think. I would also look into the vacuum advance. My car was missing like mad and bucking at under 2500 rpms because my vacuum advance was broken. You can check this by unplugging the vacuum line from the side of the distributor with the cap off. Put another piece of hose on the distributor and suck with your mouth. If you can see the advance arm inside the distributor move then your fine. If not u need another vacuum advance..or as i did just dump another distributor in if you have one handy. If the fuel filters and the distributor check out then i would start to suspect carb problems. Maybe with the exhaust that was backfeeding through the ASV's u got some gunk built up in a small orifice that u cant see.

At first, I refused to acknowledge the 6 dollar spark plugs with only 1k miles were the problem.. read on.

Put in all the above as you read,

Even put in another Distributor, Fuel filters, another set of wires, disty cap.

Turns out, when the top radiator hose decided to take a piss and shoot coolant into the nozzle of the air cleaner, it ended up coating one of the 6 dollar plugs.

After doing all that, turns out one bad plug causing all the problems, I got disgusted with it.. it is running GREAT and I am happy, just mad I spent all that time and money throwing parts at it..

At least I look at it this way, I should not have any problems with those aforementioned items now.

My advice is to look at the easiest and work to the hardest, and not what I did.

/mike