Ultimate Subaru Message Board

where can i find tire studs and how are they installed. i have hancook snow tires wit holes for studs.

how much would it cost to have 4 tires studded?

the tire dealers in wisconsin wont sell them or install them, dont carry them.

i am this close to threading sheetmetal screws in the holes

First you have to get tires that say 'studdable'. Then you have to find a tire shop that is willing to stud them. Tire installers had doing studs because it is a pain to install all those little things in four tires.

It might be illegal to sell studded tires in your area maybe. I got them a couple years ago here in NY; but it's like a $500 fine if you run them outside the alloted dates of November something to March something I think it is.

Studded snows main advantage is on ice, that's where they shine. They tend to have longer stopping distances than good snow tires on almost any other condition.

Do you get lots of ice in the winter?

Not picking here, but I hope you werent serious about the sheet metal screws. :rolleyes:

Complicated little suckers, studs are.

winter_tire_studs_pile.jpg

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/tiretech/winter_tire_studs_pile.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp%3Ftechid%3D151%26autoModClar%3D&h=185&w=250&sz=9&hl=en&start=2&um=1&tbnid=j5PkzF5UeSNNKM:&tbnh=82&tbnw=111&prev=

I used to run studs, but now actually prefer to drive without them. I bought a set of the Hankook winter iPike snows, and have put them though their paces already. Mine do wonderfully without studs.

i did some internet searches and read the foloowing:

cant put studs on used tired because dirt gets in the holes, studs may fall out

stuts are installed with a gin, according to the picture they look like rivets, i have a pmeumatic rivet gun

i also read that some folks will take the tires and drill the holes thru the tread, and thread half inch screws fom inside and install a tube.

i have some half inch screws with 5/16 hex head with slot for standard screw driver. the thread is corse and the tip very point. i chopped the ips off so the overall lenght is 1/4 inch

i threaded one in with a dime and it seemed to fit snugly. if it stays i may do more

my tires are pre-holed for studs

i was told that a powersports shop may have them(snowmobiles, atv's)

aside from studs, the ice we have would be snowmwlt that freezes the next day. my tires are siped rather well, and grip VERY WELL, i have read that the studs will affect traction on non icy surfaces as they sdont let the treads fully contact the ground.

but i was entertained byt the guy at auto-zones notion to use screws, so i thought i would give it a go on the inner curcumfrence of the tire(to not be visible

I dont know if the guy at Autozone knows anything about studs, or is just "throwing this out there" ....but I dont believe you will have lasting luck with screws.

While they ARE made of hardened metal, they dont have tungsten carbide pins in the center like real studs do.... and will not hold up long.

I know youre gonna try it anyway... so let us know how you make out, I will be very interested :grin: