Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I think even stopttech says that for typical daily drivers you can get away without any bed in, as long as the brakes never get too hot or something like that. Subaru AFIAK recommends a very soft bed in, something like 30 gradual stops from 30mph. But that doesn't seem like much fun!

Well, I got all the rotors and pads on today. That was kind of a PITA to do. Mainly because of my garage.

I woke up at around 4:30 and was out there by 5:30. It was already dark and 40 degrees. Not that 40 is too terribly cold but not exactly comfortable either. Good thing I have those mechanics gloves...

My step dad has so much crap in the garage that you can only fit half of your car in it and you don't have much room to work on the sides. This is a 2 car garage too. That's how bad it is. This meant that I had to pull the front in, put on new brakes, take the car out and turn it around and back in for the rear brakes. All the rotors were rusted onto the hubs so I had to do some late night beating(lol)with the small sledge hammer. Quite of a bit of beating too, those suckers were on there good.

Got the brakes on and they look pretty nice. But then I realized I had forgotten brake cleaner. Oh well, I guess. Gotta go without.

Then once I had the new brakes on I put my mityvac together and loosened up the first bleeder screw on the passenger side rear caliper. 1/4 turn...1/2 turn...full turn...3 turns! Nothing came out. I removed the bleeder screw completely and found that the hole was filled with dirt. After using a small drill bit by hand, I thought I got all the dirt out. So I hooked the hose up to the screw by itself to see if it would pull any air through it. Nope. There's rust in it I think. This was the only one that didn't have a rubber cap on it.

That's where I stopped. I'm going to have to go tomorrow and buy 4 new bleeder screws and hopefully some rubber caps to prevent this from happening again.

Do they sell those at parts stores?

I found a lot of contradicting stuff on the internet and in my haynes manual. I thought I had a chilton one too but I lost it. The haynes manual says start at the driverside front and go to the rear passenger side. Then I think you go from the passenger side front to the rear driver side. On StopTech it says to go from the rear passenger side to the rear driver side, then to the front passenger side and last is the front driver side. Other sites had both ways too.

I decided to go with stoptech's way because that was the most popular on the other sites as well.

Which one is correct anyways and how do you know for sure? Anybody have a subaru manual for a 90 legacy wagon AWD auto? Does it say in the manual how to do it?