Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cold weather smell

I bought my car around October of last year. When it started getting cold, the interior smelled. It went away this summer. As soon as it started getting cold again, the smell's back. I don't feel like it's because of the windows being closed...like maybe in the summer it gets aired out enough so that I don't notice it..It's worst first thing in the morning. Doesn't take long for it to air out & I don't notice it much even after my car's sat at work half the day.

Why would cold weather bring out a smell? My best description is.....a fast food fart. Not pleasant. I really smells like a fart...or old nasty fries...or an old nast french fry fart. Ugh.

Have you attempted to spray lysol into the air intake for the HVAC system.

Mold likes cool and damp as opposed to humid and hot

nipper

No I haven't...and where is this HVAC air intake located? Hopefully that doesn't show too much of my ignorance.............Thanks!

No I haven't...and where is this HVAC air intake located? Hopefully that doesn't show too much of my ignorance.............Thanks!

It's under the hood i think, or at the base of the windsheild, i forget. Turn on the blower full speed and listen, youll hear it.

nipper

I bought my car around October of last year. When it started getting cold, the interior smelled. It went away this summer. As soon as it started getting cold again, the smell's back. I don't feel like it's because of the windows being closed...like maybe in the summer it gets aired out enough so that I don't notice it..It's worst first thing in the morning. Doesn't take long for it to air out & I don't notice it much even after my car's sat at work half the day.

Why would cold weather bring out a smell? My best description is.....a fast food fart. Not pleasant. I really smells like a fart...or old nasty fries...or an old nast french fry fart. Ugh.

get one of those pinetree air-freshners :D I like vanilla or coconut :brow:

It could be mice in the heater system. They make a horrible mess, and it stinks. My soon to be retired (due to rust) 90 got invaded a year or so ago. I just pulled what I could out, and left it open all summer. The amount of air moved is severely reduced by the crud in the evaporrator, however.

I discovered their mess in my "new" 87 (no rust) while getting ready to install the wiring for the 4WD transmission. I decided to take everything apart & clean it out with TSP and bleach. :Flame: I HATE MICE! Since I plan on using the 87 car for years, I decided it was worth it. The A/C evaporator was plugged almost solid with their mess. I am going to put 1/4" hardware cloth over all of the intakes for the HVAC. At the base of the windshield under hood, and the blower box behind the glove box.

In one overnight, those vile critters will tear up insulation from under the rugs, naw insulation off wires, make a nest, pee & poo in it. I once disturbed a nest of 2 or 3 one cold morning. When I came back, maybe 15 minutes later, one mouse had died walking away in the snow, and another had partly eaten it's body! :eek: I don't feel bad about setting traps or poision for them anymore.

How much fast food do you eat :eek::Flame:Sorry couldnt resist. But seriously mice in the air ducts is a good suggestion. I think i had mice in my old subaru and it would smell something fierce first thing in the morning. That is until i turned the fan on high and blew their nest out..in my face.