Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have found a few EJ22s at the junkyard but want to know if I need to replace the headgaskets in an engine with 170,000 miles on it. I would really like to avoid it.

I know with an older engine it would be wise (EA82 or EA81), but the EJ22 is a pretty large step up and I'm hoping letting the headgaskets go would be ok because of the "bulletproofness" of the EJ22. I've heard some accounts of nearly 300,000 miles on the original headgaskets.

170k is high mileage. and another important thing to consider is age...if it's a 1990, that's a far cry from a 1999. a 1990 has had 9 years more of possible hose, radiator, clamp, water pump, thermostat, coolant loss, heater core or other cooling system failure. overheats significantly affect the life and reliability of a headgasket. an older car is more likely to have those kinds of overheats. if it's a 1990 and i know nothing else about it, i'd be more inclined than a 1999 that came out of a really clean, one owner, well maintained wreck. where you draw the line is up to you. on an EJ i'd probably err more towards...time is money and they don't fail very often so i'd leave it. my problem though is that i've never personally bought, seen, worked on or touched an EJ18 or EJ22 that has had a failed headgasket. as soon as i start seeing them, as GD and others surely have, then maybe that will change.

low-mileage EJ engines aren't hard to find though. i look for them with 80k-100k personally and in those cases i don't replace the head gaskets. they are easy enough to do in the car (although i never have had to for an EJ18 or EJ22) that it's not worth all the extra effort to me "just in case". last one i picked up was $150 with 100k, i didn't have to pull it and that's with a warranty.

if you're still worried, do a leak down test on it. if it "passes", it doesn't necessarily prove that the headgaskets are "good as new", but sure is reassuring. although i think for HLA equipped EJ's they can fail the leak down test due to the HLA's not being fully pumped up from sitting...which they do quickly once the engine is started. so might depend on the engine whether that's a worthwhile test or not.

if they have adjustable valves (depending on year), i would do that with the motor out for sure.

I obviously haven't done near enough thinking... the cylinder condition didn't even cross my mind :rolleyes: . How long do EJ22s go on a set of headgaskets done properly?

that depends car-to-car.

my 96 LS (2.2 134k miles) was running fine until i neglected to fix the water pump after i knew that it needed it.

long story short, the water pump went, car overheated, fried the headgaskets, engine = toast, sold the car for $400.

I obviously haven't done near enough thinking... the cylinder condition didn't even cross my mind :rolleyes: . How long do EJ22s go on a set of headgaskets done properly?

the cylinders are typically in tip-top shape. i've pulled 200,000+ mile heads and they have always had the crosshatching. the only thing i've seen is rust spots on blocks that have sat for awhile.

if done properly the head gaskets won't be an issue, you'll have other problems first.

I may be ignorant, but 16 sound like a hell-of-a-lot

Lots of "fun" in the snow..........................

I'd go for more, but there are a lot of miles on this engine, if it was "fresher" I'd go for 20-25.

"Thirsty" though, driving like a total idiot, I'm lucky to see around 8mpg, usual seems to be around 20mpg in town/32mpg highway.