Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 legacy 4eat, awd not working!

Could the Duty C solenoid be stuck in the energised position? This would have the effect of the FWD fuse being in. It would also give no TCU codes. Just because they usually fail in the off position, doesn't mean it can't fail in the on position as well.

Just thinking out loud. The Duty C isn't that expensive, or hard to replace.

Could the Duty C solenoid be stuck in the energised position? This would have the effect of the FWD fuse being in. It would also give no TCU codes. Just because they usually fail in the off position, doesn't mean it can't fail in the on position as well.

Just thinking out loud. The Duty C isn't that expensive, or hard to replace.

now how would I replace the Duty C? is there a port on the sid eof the trans that i can jus pop it out? most likely is a result of a fuse in the FWD, the FWD fude holder is quite used...

thanks

The Duty C is inside the tail extension housing. IIRC the housing can be removed without removing anything except the driveshaft. It's fairly easily replaced once this housing removed. While you're in there, you can check that line to the solenoid that was mentioned in a previous post.

Before going to these lengths I'd try to make sure the AWD is truly not working. Have you had the car off the ground? With the car off the ground, idling in drive, you should have some drive at both ends. This is an easy test of the AWD.

You seem pretty car savvy, this isn't a difficult fix, no matter the trouble. The tranny doesn't have to come out, even if the transfer clutch is totally shot. I think that's pretty unlikley though. You've checked everything else, TCU FWD fuse, even wired the Duty C to a switch. The only two components left are the solenoid, and clutch.

The Duty C is inside the tail extension housing. IIRC the housing can be removed without removing anything except the driveshaft. It's fairly easily replaced once this housing removed. While you're in there, you can check that line to the solenoid that was mentioned in a previous post.

Before going to these lengths I'd try to make sure the AWD is truly not working. Have you had the car off the ground? With the car off the ground, idling in drive, you should have some drive at both ends. This is an easy test of the AWD.

You seem pretty car savvy, this isn't a difficult fix, no matter the trouble. The tranny doesn't have to come out, even if the transfer clutch is totally shot. I think that's pretty unlikley though. You've checked everything else, TCU FWD fuse, even wired the Duty C to a switch. The only two components left are the solenoid, and clutch.

yeaH i got the tools and the knowledge, the only thing i dont have is the space... icant do it on the parking spaces of my apt complex, they will let me do brakes and stuff but i doubt they would be happy with me doing a trans job in the middle of the lot.. i wish i had a garage! :-\ :-\

ok good, let me know, i'd appreciate it :)

2 things,

FWIW the duty c only cost about 75$ (i think) from the online suppliers, (don't forget the 2 gaskets for the duty c valve assembly, ) do you want to go through this and put in a used part? i generally believe in used parts, but i had the duty c in a used 125k trans go bad. i have sworn never to install a used one again, save 75$ vs. spend 300$.

2. did you add the switch for the duty c while diagnosing the AWD unit or before? my understanding is that you found the problem first and then added the switch. if you did it the other way around, you could have crossed some wires.....

the one on the back of the tranny (extension housing), VSS1

Okay, sorry, I thought you meant the front one. (subarus VSS labeling is not consistant thorough all years and changes)

Hmm... It is so high up on the rear of the trans, I think it would be above the fluid level. Some ATF dripping out would be normal I suppose, as the transfer clutch drum is directly over it and is full of fluid.

But if it really pours out of there, I think it may be conclusive that the transfer pressure pipe has come loose, and is filling the rear extension with ATF.

Reading this thread made me think somebody was reading my mail.

My new to me 95 legacy also had no power to the rear wheels, and I'd gone through everything njdrsubaru did too. My conclusion was to tear into it with the assumption of a malfuctioning solenoid C/valve.

I have another transmission from a '91 that I didn't know if it was any good or not, so I pulled the tail off and removed the clutch pack and solenoid. Then I jacked my '95 up and pulled the tail on that tranny.

With the parts side by side, I noticed one difference, the solenoids both had the same ohm reading, but the donor clicked when power was supplied, the original was silent. The clutch pack was slightly thicker from the donor, but both drums were grooved about the same.

So I swapped solenoids and clutch packs, and spent an hour and half fileing the grooves out of the drum. Everything back together and the AWD works. I used all used parts and traced and cut a new gasket. The whole adventure cost only 6qts of tranny fluid and about 8hrs under the car.

• 1 month later...

ATTENTION! Problem fixed

for everyone with the same problem as i had:

the only way to solve this problem is to change your clutch pack and gears. The gear on mine was sheared off from the drive shaft and i needed a whole new assembly. Luckily AWD Inc was able to find me a good used one, the rear tail housing. Replacement parts at the dealer are veryexpensive and that if you can still find them.

As Tom mentioned, take care of that torque bind before its too late, or you'll end up without AWD.

• 3 weeks later...