Ultimate Subaru Message Board

who is gonna get one or does any slick rick out there already own one? I live in america and I hear it's in europe first, you lucky bastards!:slobber:

I for one cannot imagine a sleeved aluminum diesel engine. I've seen the pics, and wish them the best, and if it works, I'll get one. But until then, I just can't see it.

Diesels operate at incredible cylinder pressures & temps. Simply sleeving an existing block, especially an aluminum one, wouldn't handle the stresses. Just ask Oldsmobile. :dead:

They're not just slapping a special top end on this one. The whole unit is beefy. :banana:

Seen these pictures yet? http://www.autoblog.com/photos/subaru-boxer-turbo-diesel/

- Scott

that is beautiful. yes pressures will be high due to diesel nature. I pray that this does deliver to my hopes and expectations. This would almost be the perfect engine in my mind.

I do believe pressures and head gaskets could be an issue, but with enough design and planning it has to be possible. That is the only weakness that I could see.

We just need better gaskets and better gasket surfaces to work with, there HAS to be a way...!

Diesels operate at incredible cylinder pressures & temps. Simply sleeving an existing block, especially an aluminum one, wouldn't handle the stresses. Just ask Oldsmobile. :dead:

Oh, so it's just a generalized concern of whether they employ qualified engineers or not. I thought someone was inventing some issue with using aluminum or sleeves or something.

Oh, so it's just a generalized concern of whether they employ qualified engineers or not. I thought someone was inventing some issue with using aluminum or sleeves or something.

NAH that issue has been around a whils, and some mfgs (harley is one, rover is another) has a problem with sleeves shifting. SUbaru only gets that if you drive a few miles with car temp pegged.

nipper

OK. I guess the only aluminum-block sleeved diesel engines I've dealt with first-hand are from Mitsubishi (great turbo diesel in a pickup from the '80s as well as a whole bunch of construction equipment). The heavy ag and industrial stuff I've put my own hands on is all either iron w/sleeves or sleeveless (bad experiences).

That certainly looks like an Iron block to me. Kudos to Subaru for getting back to thier rugged roots!

The photo looks like it, but the rendering shows a sleeve.

I don't doubt for a minute that it can be done, but the question is not whether "subaru hires qualified engineers".

My question is whether they can produce castings of sufficient strength to allow a 2 piece block connected by long bolts to absorb the stresses inherent in diesel combustion, at low enough cost to sell enough to recoup their investment and make it worthwhile to continue building them.

If I thought a Rolls was worth it, I'd seriously shop for one.

That certainly looks like an Iron block to me. Kudos to Subaru for getting back to thier rugged roots!

???? That block doesn't look Iron at all? Block and heads are beautiful shiny Alloy.

I think Subaru have always, and probably will alway use alloy blocks. An Iron boxer would be VERY heavy for the front end of a subaru.

My question is whether they can produce castings of sufficient strength to allow a 2 piece block connected by long bolts to absorb the stresses inherent in diesel combustion, at low enough cost to sell enough to recoup their investment and make it worthwhile to continue building them.

A two piece block design is WAAAY more stout than conventional main bearing caps. In conventional straight and V diesels, the force actually tryies to push the main caps away from the block. The main caps rely on bolt as well, and it all works as long as they are stout bolts.

Now in a Boxer, where would the crank possibly go? It's sandwiched between two giant slabs of metal. More bolts and more solidly connected than any main caps. Diesel Boxer sounds like a marriage made in heaven.

well I hope gloyale is right, it does sound like a marriage made in heaven, but if it so kick rump roast how come it hasn't been done before? I mean I just find it hard to believe that alll through the years of diesel production it just wasn't thought of, if it wasn't then damnation, lets kick it into high gear and make tons of diesel powered boxer engines!!!!:Flame:

well I hope gloyale is right, it does sound like a marriage made in heaven, but if it so kick rump roast how come it hasn't been done before? I mean I just find it hard to believe that alll through the years of diesel production it just wasn't thought of, if it wasn't then damnation, lets kick it into high gear and make tons of diesel powered boxer engines!!!!:Flame:

Lots of city buses use boxer diesels. I believe Gillig among others