Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 Impreza

significant improvement in safety and reliability, nice rides and the impreza EJ18's get great gas mileage. the 1.8 is a bit small, but that's what the EA series are anyway. the EJ22 has around 140hp...the EJ18 probably around 120ish at least. the EA82 in the dual range probably only has around 90-105, i forget the exact numbers. you can look that up here and online, it's all over the place.

the annoying part to me is that the manual transmissions of the EJ cars don't have any way of locking the center differentials like the EA series stuff - diff lock, dual range, PT4WD...EJ's never had any of that. for EJ stuff automatics are better in the real nasty stuff, you can install the Duty C switch and "lock" the rear transfer clutches. not applicable to most people, but i like optimum control of 4WD for off road, snow and mud. not a big deal for most people.

the annoying part to me is that the manual transmissions of the EJ cars don't have any way of locking the center differentials like the EA series stuff - diff lock, dual range, PT4WD...EJ's never had any of that.

Not that it applies to a 96, but there are EJ manual transmissions with locking center diffs, both here and in Japan

;)

1996 1.8L 5 speed..118,xxx..Car is in Philly.How do these compare power wise to an 89 gl with the D/R.Impreza ride better?

Imp = 110 HP

GL = 90 HP

Being that the Imp is lighter, and generally has a more advanced suspension design it's going to be faster and it's going to ride better. All around a better daily driver.

But the GL would have the low range - which is nice for some environments.

It's a toss-up as to what you want in a vehicle really.

GD

EJ series much easier to work on for many repairs. One timing belt instead of two; front axle replacement much easier; engine removal easier. I'll second GD's comments on handling and power. I loved my '94 Impreza 4 door; the EJ18 engine just loved to rev and it was a joy to drive. I've had manual transmissions all my life and prefer them so I can't address the comments favoring the automatic.

I liked my 93 Imp EJ18 5spd..but I didnt "LIKE" my 93. The gas mileage was around the 30ish range..but I felt it still had the " couldnt get out of its own way" thing that the EA82s had. But when swapping from an EJ18 and an ER27 every couple days..you would tend to think it was WAY underpowered. Its was dead even ( If you ask me) with my EA82..but my EA82 was also a FWD and that makes a difference.

And like edrach...I only drive manuals so no comment on ATs ( cept I think they make good boat anchors;) )

I liked my 93 Imp EJ18 5spd..but I didnt "LIKE" my 93. ..but I felt it still had the " couldnt get out of its own way" thing that the EA82s had.)
A secret about the early EJ18's: With 15" tires (or larger) they are "stones"; so slow you might regret having bought it. Put 14" tires on it and it's a night and day difference in pickup. I got that info out of Subiesport (early issue when they were building a project EJ18 rally car). It certainly worked for me! Also, it helped when you find one with a 4.111 rear as opposed to a 3.900

there weren't any??? i only mentioned the differences in capability between auto/manual in the EA's vs. EJ's. since he mentioned dual range i figured 4WD may be something important to him.
Actually most of the early Imprezas were automatics; it was rare to find a 5MT; lastly, I was only speaking of the AWD version.

that is crazy about the 14" and 15" wheels...nuts, i wanted 16's on my Legacy with an EJ18! i guess that's not going to go over so well.

I can't address the comments favoring the automatic
there weren't any???
i meant there weren't any comments favoring autos, not that there werent' any auto trans! ha ha, that is awesome.