Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Window shatters while driving down freeway!!

97 OBW 130,000 miles.

My wife was just cruising along and the right rear window shatters and falls out onto the road in heavy traffic. She is the only one in the car. I have not seen it yet, she just called via cellular.

Anyway where do I get a new piece of glass for this thing?? This is Texas so junkers don't typically have any subes in the yard.

And why does this happen anyway, was she shot at?

Ryan

Wow, I've had experiance breaking car windows, they're pretty tough, its hard to imagine a stray rock or something shattering it.

Out of curiosity, has any body work ever been done to the car in that area?

No body work.

Local shops want about $100 for the glass. Any special tools required here?

Those side windows are tougher then you think, we have to break them sometimes in extrications from vehicles after accidents. Specialized window punches sometimes take 2 or even more tries to shatter them. A good sized rock could possibly have broken it, but this was in heavy traffic.

who did she cut off?

assuming you mean the door window, then no problem just replace it. you'll have the other side to compare to if something doesn't look obvious to you. the glued in side/back windows...i'd leave those to professionals, that adhesive they use is no joke and thick.

In my 82 I had a snowboard touching the passenger rear corner window and hit a bump and the snowboard broke the window.. but it was laminated so I was able to just duct tape it up until I got one from a j/y. It was a lot harder getting the glass out of the junker than it was putting it in my car. If your rubber seals and stuff are good it's pretty easy. Sounds like vibration and bad glass install (probably one of those things Subaru doesnt want to admit to.)

Well the glass is in.

The most time consuming part was cleaning all the old glass out of the door.

For the install it was fairly easy except that the glass needs to be tweaked at various angles to get it to slide down into the door with the mounting brackets attatched. Once in, the up/down needs to be tweaked constantly for alignment of the brackets with the bolt access holes, so don't unplug your interior door panel, just set it aside with the wires connected.

(Note: you must install the rear roller guide into it's track, then attach it to the glass after the glass is in place. The roller guide will not fit into the door if its attached to the glass. The mounting nut on the roller guide allows for this, the 2 main bracket nuts do not.)

Enjoy.