Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bucky needs a fuel pump?

Hey all,

I finally got the 'ol Buckster inspected, insured, registered, and on the road, BUT.....

I think hes throwing his first fit for me. I hope he's not homesick.

SYMPTOMS:

-lack of power on acceleration, (almost feels like MAF)... but idles smoothly (accel problem is better w/warm engine, but still there.)

-fuel pump noisy enough to be heard from the driver's seat w/engine running

-has failed to start on two seperate occasions now. WILL start after some begging.....but not right away.

I would USUALLY suspect tune up/fuel filter etc as the root of the problem, but Connie has replaced all that already!

NEW RELEVANT PARTS:

-plugs/wires

-cap/rotor

-timing and acc belts

From my quick search, I have gathered that the ea82 "outside of tank" pumps DO go bad sometimes. ?

(Sorry, I havent owned a Loyale in a few years here, folks)

Am I missing something?

If no.... anybody have a pump for sale?

:grin:

Now I feel bad

Buckys fuel pump has always been noisey...he had been sitting for awhile..maybe water in the tank?? You toss some dry gas in him...he likes seafoam...Also check his timingand the Maf..If there isnt a Maf inthe box I sent with you ..I might have one somewhere.

He always did need a bit of a warm up before going anywhere.

I still feel bad now

Those pumps are pretty rugged. And they do make a whining noise that can be heard in the cabin. That's more of a function of the amount of sound insulation in the Loyale, and that the pump is outside the tank. Most pumps are audible under these circumstances. I can hear all of my Subaru's pumps with the possible exception of my Legacy. I can also hear the injection pump on the '72 VW Squareback - it is similarly located outside the tank under the car (but in the front).

Get a fuel pressure guage and plumb it into the system. SPFI should be a constant pressure of 21 psi. If you get much less than that under any condition then you either have a filter problem, a pump problem, or a bad regulator on the side of the TB.

Verify timing (both valve and ignition), fuel, and compression. One of those will explain your power loss.

If it were me I would be pulling the outer covers and verifying valve timing, and taking a compression test after that. Followed by ignition timing and fuel delivery. If you still have issues run a D-Check to have the ECU diagnose the SPFI system.

GD

Now I feel bad

Dont you worry..... he's just testing me to see if Im worthy! :grin:

My sisters not working for a couple weeks now, and I have something else to drive... so he knows he can get away with this. :grin:

Reveeen:

*the check for voltage at pump connector comes back good....

*the check for pressure at pump comes back almost nil. (this was after a no-start situation)

Put the connector back together and he fired right up!

GD:

I will keep testing.

How long has Bucky been sitting? The amount of crap that can form in the gas tank during a year or 2 of not running is almost unbeleivable.

My '86 GL sat from 2003 until last August. It ran great in the garage, but ran like crap as soon as I got it on the road. I damn near ruined the fuel pump trying to clear the tank with seafoam & drygas. I finally dropped the tank, emptied it, then poured in a gallon of carb cleaner (the kind you get with the little parts bucket in it, at the auto parts store). I sloshed it around for 15 minutes, thenn dumped it out - you should have seen all the junk!

After re-installing the tank (not a hard job on a 2WD), I proceeded to use compressed air to blow out the fuel lines. I also replaced the fuel filter in the engine compartment. She hasn't missed a beat since - and that was 6,000 miles ago!

Hope this helps.........good luck........

How long has Bucky been sitting?

To my knowledge, he has been "lightly used" for most of this past summer.... and not in use for the last 3 months or so.

He has been started and run regularly, and I just gave him 1/2 tank of premium with a bottle of the STP carb & FI cleaner.

As Connie says, he runs better when warmed up, but is sluggish when not. 1-2k RPMs is (very) sluggish, and then normal power resumes when you hit about 3k.....

???

I'm just a old fart so discount (senior or other wise)

what I say.

With all the mention of some cold start issues ect.

Why not test or swap out the CTS??

It's the pig tailed sensor in the upper rad goose neck.

It's just a varriable resistor, values vs temp can be found and measured.

If this has been done, please excuse this diatribe.

• 1 month later...

:banana::banana::banana::banana::clap::clap::clap::banana::banana::banana::banana:

That makes me feel good...cause I WAS feeling bad that he was acting up on you:(. Tell Buck that I still love him but he is supposed to behave for you from now on. And hopefully I will get to see him soon ( Bucky is such a good old boy)