Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brake Light and Battery Light? PLEASE HELP

hey guys, I have a 96' legacy 2.2 with a 5 spd... I did some driving around today and eventually i came up on some traffic everything was fine for about 10 minutes just crawling along than both my battery light and my brake light came on at the exact same time. please if anyone can help or has a similar problem it would be appreciated.

usually alternator but could be related to battery, cables or connections. autozone or advanced auto parts have battery and alternator testing equipment. there's an off change the belt could be loose, but you would probably hear that as well. and the rarer alternative is that the crank pulley is separating.

also - check out the search function or the "similar threads" listed below. look down to the bottom right of this page, there are threads listed with your exact same issues. some quick searches often solves easy or common issues like this one.

Get an altenator form one of the online dealers, not from anyone else. I went through two altenators in one year, because they kept using an imprezza altenator for a legacy. Also when I bought the alt from the online dealer it was 3 times cheaper then the one they had put into the car.

This is a common "error" that autopart stores do. I dont know if it is a catalog error, or someone trying to sell the more expensive alt, that looks exactly like the cheaper one.

Sooby dealers will tell you this is not an uncommon "error"

nipper

Interesting. I always use NAPA alternators, due the the low failure rate as compaired to other aftermarket units that I have tried.

If all your battery cables and conections are clean and tight, (includeing the ground conection at the engine and behind the LH head light) the battery tests good, and your alternator belt is properly tensioned................get the alternator tested. Did you get the Lifetime alternator, PN 13-9100?

The warning lights are in the field circuit of the alternator. This allows the lights to be tested when the ignition is turned on and is also why some come on when there is trouble with the alternator. I too would suspect the replacement alternator is bad but if you can, have the place you purchased it from check it out before you replace it.

[...]i have like a 1800 watt kenwood amp goin to a rockford P3[...]
I assume that you aren't hitting peak power all the time :) . Nevertheless, if your subwoofer and the rest of the audio system are "only" averaging 1/4 of that ( :eek: ), they'll require around 40 amps of current. Lighting and other accessories also can consume 10's of amps. If you're really pushing the system, the alternator and battery should be very heavy duty types, or the problem may be a recurring one.