Ultimate Subaru Message Board

intake manifold pwns me

so yeah, iam trying to figure out how to get the intake manifold off of an ea82t, which ive done many times before. but this time, i have a broken bold, the one behing the thermostat, next to the coolant passage. the bolt head brok off like 1 mm below the surface of the manifold. i think its the crud thats built up in the bolt hole that is holding hte manifold down, but we couldnt get it to come off of the heads at all. the driver side would come up just a hair, but the passenger side seems to still be firmly attached. im sure that if we can get hte manifold off of the heads, we can get the bolt out without much effort, but yeah, the manifold is stuck.

has anyone else had to deal with the manifold getting stuck in this manor? we needs some help.

Are you doing this to pull the heads? If you are, then you could just leave it in place on the head. Unbolt everything else, cam case, head bolts, and exhaust. Then lift off the pass head and intake toghether. Seperate them once it's apart. I've had to do excactly that before. The real trouble is if you break a bolt on BOTH ends of the intake.

I had a similar problem on my 86. The bolts get coolant into them and rust. When the bolts rust they expand filling the thru holes in the manifold. I was lucky and only had one inner bolt rust up. When I tried to remove the bolt the bolt head broke off. I was able to remove the intake buy leveraging the part that was free that is way the bolt is bent in the pictures. Eventually the rusty bolt gave up and I was able to pull the manifold off. Then I had like 4 inches of bolt sticking out of the head.

The (*&&%$ bolt

172-7236_IMG.JPG

172-7240_IMG.JPG

172-7237_IMG.JPG

The bar we bent attempting to pry the manifold off

172-7241_IMG.JPG

Good luck

I'm telling ya. Just remove the whole head and intake toghether. It's way easy to then hold the intake still, and then just spin the head off the bolt.

+1

But people are scared to do this. Head gaskets have been blown up to such mythical proportions that just the mention of them makes people run for the hills.

Funny how a head gasket job has never cost me more than $100 and an afternoon. Not to mention the security of knowing it's done right, and with quality parts....

They are *just* gaskets afterall :rolleyes:.

GD

cause the intake gaskets were leaking.

Externally? or into the intake? And if it was leaking coolant into the intake, How did you determine it was the gaskets and not a headgasket leak?

I'm sure you do know what you're doing, I am, just trying to go over everthing. And also point out that if you're in for a penny, you should be in for a pound. How much would it suck to do all this work, put it back toghether and have it blow those old HGs in a week?

Judging by the giant pile of Rat turds on the block, I'd say that poor engine needs all the love it can get. Do the HGs. It is money and time well spent. And in the end, it will be easier than trying to fight that intake off. And possibly bending, or breaking it or something else.

i agree totally, that engine block looks horrific, where was that thing Tim? but i will say that there are situations where the cost is a factor. finding cheap machine shops in his area isn't easy (not impossible), but MD is rather on the pricey end of things...with some of the richest counties in the nation and high property values. and knowing that tim just went through a horrific cancer ordeal, chemo-therapy and not being able to work...i don't know all the details but i'm sure he's not way ahead right now.

i'll give you a set of EA82 head gaskets i have if you want them. they are beck arnley though, not Fel-Pro permatorques which is what i would recommend.