Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Intake manifold without charcoal canister

I have an intake manifold that came off a 97 EJ22 OBS I am going to be installing in another vehicle. Thing is this manifold does not have any metal or rubber lines coming to the front passengers side of the engine bay for the charcoal canister. I owned this car a few years ago and recall it didn't have a charcoal canister up front.

So where are the lines for this stuff?

what exactly does that mean? how does that work and what happens if i put it on a vehicle without that....guess my gas tank will implode? how many vehicles are like this, i've never seen one....except maybe this one, but it was before i really had a mind to check into it and i don't have it any more to look at (grrrr....).

i've had 3 1997 OBS automatics - all identical, two with EGR and charcoal canister up front in the engine bay....like every other subaru i've ever seen. then one was a freak-a-zoid - it had no EGR and no charcoal canister stuff. was a one owner vehicle, guy lived 7 miles from me and never did anything out of the ordinary with it *that i know of*.

Not sure exactly what you are trying to do, but if you have a mainfold with all the proper lines, and electrical harness, they can be switched over. Basicly the differance in 2.2L intake castings is some have EGR some don't. All the other parts that are different are bolted on and can be changed. And when your talking about differences between Leacy and Impreza 2.2L intakes there can be a number of differences in the parts that are bolted to the intake casting.

If the manifold you are using has no EGR and you are installing it in a car that needs EGR, then obviously you with have an illuminated CEL and EGR codes.

Depends on what you are installing it on.
EJ22 intake is going into an DOHC EJ25 Legacy. Obviously used to have EGR. i do not want EGR, so if i can get it to run with CEL i would be super happy, i hate the EGR systems.

i should get to it soon, power went out today so i played racquetball instead! the lack of charcoal canister lines has be baffled, it looks different than all the other EJ engines/manifolds i have lying around. wish i could figure out what the deal is with that engine.

EJ22 intake is going into an DOHC EJ25 Legacy.

I'm guessing that you don't mean what this statement implies? You can't put an EJ22 manifold on an EJ25 engine. Without building adaptors or cutting and welding manifold peices together, that is.

More details? Pitures if possible?

right - i mean it's going into a Legacy that originally had an DOHC EJ25.

do you know what non-EGR intake manifolds look like? i've never seen an EJ non-EGR intake manifold, but the one i have (non-EGR EJ22) has the location for an EGR valve, but just a plate bolted over the top of it. it *looks* rather factory and i don't recall seeing any plugs or vaccuum lines out of place.

but really the EGR issue is the least of my concern, it's those pesky charcoal canister lines that i'm concerned about.

OK, so you are doing a EJ25 to EJ22 conversion.

The problem you will have with the EVAP emissions stuff is that you will have a CEL, and codes stored obviously. Shouldn't be any other concerns with drivability.

As I recall the only intakes I have seen cast for EGR, with a block off plate over the port, were on Imprezas. Not real common, but OE.

I think the casting is still the same. As I said before anything that is different should be bolted to the casting and can be changed.

Do you have the intake that came off the EJ25?

Set the two intakes side by side. Anything that is different on the 2.2 intake as compaired to the 2.5, take off the 2.5 and swap over to the 2.2.

In order to get all the steel vacuum lines you need you will have to swap the fuel lines also. I would also swap over the wiring harness.

I feel it is just a lot less trouble to swap all the parts now and have it work right when you put it together, rather than getting it together and chase gosts later.

you're probably right, but swapping the wiring harness looked like a major PITA. not too mention the EJ25 has the EGR stuff on it, and EGR is crap. swapping that fuel rail and all those metal lines looked like a bear...is it?? i guess compared to an engine/trans swap it should be cake, ha ha. i do have plenty of EJ25 stuff and the one that came out of the vehicle, so i'll look at it again, did not look appetizing the first time i considered it.

if i swapped the EGR equipped EJ25 do you think i could just leave it unplugged, i don't care about the codes. it would be interesting to do that and somehow find one of these mysterious (THAT I USED TO HAVE...GRRR) non-EGR EJ22's. i should theoretically be able to install that non EGR EJ22 ECU and be golden, right?

you're probably right, but swapping the wiring harness looked like a major PITA. not too mention the EJ25 has the EGR stuff on it, and EGR is crap. swapping that fuel rail and all those metal lines looked like a bear...is it?? i guess compared to an engine/trans swap it should be cake, ha ha. i do have plenty of EJ25 stuff and the one that came out of the vehicle, so i'll look at it again, did not look appetizing the first time i considered it.

Not that bad IMO. Some claim that it can't be done, but the first swap I did was a '95 2.2L into an Outback with EVAP canister in the rear. I swaped all the junk from the 2.5 intake to the 2.2 intake. No CEL, worked great.

No, Subaru started putting the EVAP canisters in the back in '98. All the older cars have it up front.

Did you look at post #4, and check out the link.

In the end the simple thing to do is make everthing on the intake you are installing same same as the intake that came out of the car.

i checked out that link but it didn't seem to offer much for my situation, maybe i'll look at it again later? and yes, normally i am all about keeping the intake wiring harness and goods with the vehicle, that is simplest for sure.

the plot thickens - the EJ25 manifold i was using actually doesn't have the charcoal canister stuff up front either, i forgot i had two of them like this. i don't feel like taking the intake manifold off the engine that came out of the car because it's a perfectly running EJ25 and i'd rather keep it that way. so i'm going to drop this non-EGR and non-charcoal-up-front intake manifold on and see what happens. they're easy enough to swap out if i don't like the results.

any idea what problems that will cause not having those 3 charcoal canister lines? are they emissions only? they don't affect fuel flow or the engine?

• 2 months later...

The swap is finished, so I'll report details in case anyone else ever runs into this.

I yanked the EJ25 and installed a Non-EGR EJ22 intake manifold into an EJ25 vehicle (1997 Legacy LSi). It also has no charcoal canister lines on it, but the original EJ25 did. Without the EGR and charcoal lines all under it, it's a nice and clean looking intake manifold.

Engine runs fine and transmission shifts fine, we shall see what check engine codes it starts throwing. It didn't throw anything on the 5 mile run down the street.

Guess it needs to reach operating temps or run for a few miles/minutes to set the CEL for not having an EGR?