Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 brat rear wheel wheel bearing, replace my self or get mechanic to do it?

AKIRA

Hi again, I went to get my 84 4WD Brat inspected, and one of the things needed (along with front rotors) is that it needs the right rear wheel bearing replaced.

I was told by the woman who owns the dealership (not the mechanic) that she "thinks" the bearing has to be pressed in and it may have to be done at the dealership.

my haynes manual says specifically that the front ones need a mechanic to replace, and it doesn't really mention the rear other than regreasing them.

so, can I replace the rear wheel bearing myself? I already have the large baring and two seals. mainly, does it require some pressing that only a mechanic could in their shop?

I know her and she is very nice, if anything she is just mistaken, not trying to get me to take it to her so she can charge me for it.

so, can I do it?

thanks in advance.

With a big hammer and a good drift you can do it yourself.

You do it yourself on the car, so you don't have to undo brakelines, struts, and big bolts.

But Pressing it is relatively cheap $25-50 bucks, depending where you go. Good machine shop could do it, no need for dealer. But then you do risk snapped brake line if it's all crusty

Fronts can easily be done with a drift at home.

Hey, thats my thread! :grin: It was a lot of fun, let me tell you. If it weren't for rust though, and brake line problems on mine, its really pretty easy. I was able to drift out the old bearing without a problem. It really is not difficult to do. Definitely watch the brake lines though, I had to replace 2 of them while swapping the control arm. (The ring nut on mine was stuck real bad, and the brake lines were manufactured from rust). But I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. If you find that you need help or advice while replacing it, you're talking to the right guys!

94 loyale - great, glad to hear yours worked out okay. i've still yet to ever do wheel bearings, so they scare me. the great thing is that you have this place to ask questions. swapping in a good hub might be a better bet and sometimes it's cheaper depending on the price of the bearings, seals, and local supplies. heck if 94 loyale is offering he may know where a good hub is sitting since he just had to look last week.

if you take it somewhere, it definitely does not have to be a dealer. almost any shop is set up to do wheel bearings. i do not know how subaru's compare to other makes and being a 4WD car from the 80's they may be a bit strange, but most places shouldn't have a problem.

Gary, I wanted to say thanks for your advice on the wheel bearings on my car. I do know where there are a whole mess of hub/control arms within 10 minutes of me if you need one. I picked mine up on saturday from a local place, and just had them pull it because I didn't feel like doing it twice. I got everything for $30, hub,control arm, and drum assembly.

A word of advice though, if your going to do them yourself, buy the special socket for removing the ring nut :) Don't be like me.

Also, Gary had suggested about taking it somewhere to get it done. It's very easy to get to the bearings (besides complications like rust and stuck bolts). But if you don't feel comfortable doing it. You could save yourself alot of money by pulling the control arm/hub yourself. Once you get the drum and axle shaft off, its 4 bolts and a brake line to remove. Then you could take it almost anywhere that has a press to remove the old outer bearing race and install the new one. I got lucky though (for once during this job) and was able to drift out the old race.

94Loyale: where do we buy this special socket to fit the bearing set collar?

I got mine from ZDMAK tools. an Ebay store. The don't list them now. But they are in Shingle springs California if you want to look them up.

They machine tools for imports. Really cool boxer engine stand adapters, and "on car" wheel bearing presses

I got mine from ZDMAK tools. an Ebay store. The don't list them now. But they are in Shingle springs California if you want to look them up.

They machine tools for imports. Really cool boxer engine stand adapters, and "on car" wheel bearing presses

IIRC, that's where I got mine as well. I think from their online store though, and not ebay.

Looks like they still have them, but it says "call or email". Price shows $27.50.

http://www.zdmak.com/wbstore/main.asp?action=PROD&PROD=VO-SU022&CTMP=1

GD