Ultimate Subaru Message Board

still a noob... sill removal?

96 OBW... How do you remove the door sill pieces? I need to run wires for my amp/sub from the front to the rear of the wagon.

Patch cables will run down the passenger side, beneath the sill pieces, power down the drivers side.

I just don't want to break any clips.

Thanks

On my '95 Impreza, it works as follows.

The clips are two-piece type. Pop up the visible heads with a screwdriver,

taped up if desired, and then you can pull the sill out with the clips still in it.

Doing it in a warm weather reduces the risk of breaking anything.

The inward edge of the sill trim has a bent over lip that engages a

channel piece stapled along the edge of the carpet.

Yes, those plastic clips holding down the sill piece will definitely break if yanked at when cold. The cold makes them brittle. Suggest using a hair dryer to warm up the sill piece and therefore the plastic clips. Take your time to get the sill nice and warm to the touch. Pull up the cover with your hands, or gently pry with a screw driver. Good luck!

How about going for a nice drive with the heat cranked?

Plus a little hairdryer action?

Should I start pulling on the end furthest from the kick panel, somewhere in the middle, or elsewhere?

Thanks again

Start pulling on one end. Less resistance pulling against just one clip on an end, vs a couple of clips in the middle

Start pulling on one end. Less resistance pulling against just one clip on an end, vs a couple of clips in the middle

I guess a good question to ask would have been,

Where are the clips located on the sill plates?

That way I'll know where to pull.

Thanks again

Breaking one clip and one insert should not cause a problem on reassembly. Put the good clips and inserts on the ends of the sill plate, so the ends aren't loose and allow your shoe/foot to catch on the sill plate.

Hope the sound system makes all this work worth it. Let us know.

the broken clips were in the middle on both front sill plates. no problem.

I've never set up an amp and sub, so I had to do some searching to figure out how to properly use it with my alpine head unit.

Sounds great, just that little extra thump that the door speakers lack. I listen to mostly rock, but also some indie hip-hop. Eventually I'm going to make a fiberglass sub enclosure that fits behind the drivers side rear wheel well, but until then I'm going to fab up a couple of removable brackets for the amp and sub so they don't move around in the rear of the wagon.

I also installed the ipod interface unit that works on Alpine decks, and routed the ipod plug into the console. Now the only wire I see is for my cell charger. the bloobaru is quite happy.