Ultimate Subaru Message Board

recently finished HG job and got this baby going...purchased it with the bad HG so I am just getting used to it

It definitely has this whirring sound. WHen accelerating it is relatively quiet...even very light pressure on the accelerator

As soon as you release your foot off the gas it whirs...all the way down to about 15 MPH

I don't think its the tranny cause it will whir when coasting in nuetral

I am guessing wheel bearings....?

Not sure how to tell front or back

I am very familiar with GL/Loyale wheel bearing replacement on front. Is the 96 OB similar? Are there 2 in each hub? Can you tap them out with a drift?

I know the rear bearing is much more difficult to replace and never did it on the GL/Loyale 4WD models

Anyone offer insight on doing the rears?

thanks

[...]It definitely has this whirring sound. WHen accelerating it is relatively quiet...even very light pressure on the accelerator

As soon as you release your foot off the gas it whirs...all the way down to about 15 MPH

I don't think its the tranny cause it will whir when coasting in nuetral

I am guessing wheel bearings....?

[...]

I don't have much time today, so this will be brief.

Light acceleration usually doesn't change the loading of wheel bearings enough to make a difference. Putting the trans (should be a 4EAT, since I believe the manual wasn't available in '96 OB) in neutral doesn't fully disengage it, so it could be the source. Also, don't forget the diffs, especially the front one. I'd start by looking at ATF and diff oil condition.

I don't have much time today, so this will be brief.

Light acceleration usually doesn't change the loading of wheel bearings enough to make a difference. Putting the trans (should be a 4EAT, since I believe the manual wasn't available in '96 OB) in neutral doesn't fully disengage it, so it could be the source. Also, don't forget the diffs, especially the front one. I'd start by looking at ATF and diff oil condition.

5MT + EJ22 was available on the MY1996 Outback. :cool:

On another list there was a sooby with a bad diff that did the same thing. It ws a rear diff. Check the fluids, and a diff will get louder as it gets worse. They can take a long time to get worse, but are un mistakable in the sound they make when they do.

nipper

Only year to get a "true" outback with the 2.2L and not the 2.5.

'95's had the 2.2, but the weren't "real" outbacks

Mobil 1 in the diff is a good idea. I just switched mine after reading suggestions on here (been lurking and reading the site for about a year now).

Yes, I was in a hurry when I said the '96 wasn't available with a manual. I meant that in '96 the 2.5L wasn't available with a manual, and since bgambino has a 2.5 '96 (see his previous posts), it could be assumed his car has a 4EAT.