Ultimate Subaru Message Board

unsolicited post on how great my subaru has been recently...

Since everyone posts when they have a problem... I thought it'd post when I don't have any problem at all...:)

I had a bit of highway driving today for work -- it kept up 75mph (actually spent some time in the left lane...), and got 250 miles on half a tank of gas (which means a little over 30mpg). That's with the new studded snows on there too (which are really nice in the snow and ice we've had here recently -- passed alot of spun out cars and SUV's last weekend). Not bad for 18 (almost 19) years old and 235k miles, eh? :banana::banana:

'89 EA82 5spd FWD Sedan. Been great... other than having to fix my own screw-ups (timing way advanced causing overheating), it's been a great car. I've put an axle on it, reseal, clutch and headgaskets. Did the clutch for the heck of it, headgaskets cuz the overheat was my fault. 32mpg around town and 37hwy. We don't get snow very often so FWD is not a prob. I love/run the thing to death. Never complains. Not even at 80 for extended periods of time.

I checked my oil the other day and there was none on the dipstick:eek: SHe never had any issues though and I topped it up and kept going. I've done a 9 hour round trip down to my parents house and back along with a lot of driving around town. Starts up ever time and doesn't give me any headaches. I did front brakes and a CV axle on it today since I've been driving on the axle with a torn boot for 4500 miles with clicking. It finally got worse a month ago and so I got to replacing it today:-p

My 89 GL Turbo has been flawles since I got it. I've got my freshly machined high comp engine ready to go. I'm just waiting for the old engine to give up.

I threw the old enine that's in it toghether using 3 different donors.

Original short block with 225k, overheated badly. It caused a engine fire, so all the rubber, wiring, and plastic under the hood was toast.

Heads from a rusty old XT turbo engine that had been sitting out in the rain for years. The block was toast. The heads were OK, other than big BTV cracks. Had to tear them down and clean the snot out of the valves and valve seats.

Turbo, MAF, harness, and injectors and all other plastic or rubber under hood, from an old GL-10 I scraped

I thought it would barely run and limp home. 25k miles and 2 years later it still runs like a champ. Slight piston slap at start-up, a little sluggish until the turbo kicks in(worn rings, low compression), but runs great.

I want a reason to install the new engine, but when it runs so good........Why bother?

I checked my oil the other day and there was none on the dipstick:eek: SHe never had any issues though and I topped it up and kept going.

EA82's will run without complaint with only 2 quarts of oil... 1.5 quarts they start tapping just like TOD, and the oil pressure will start fluctuating on hard curves.

Don't ask me how I know this....:rolleyes:

YMMV -- I have a dent in my oil pan that may affect the volume of the sump... :-p

1987 GL Wagon, D/R 5sp manual. Carbed EA82, no cat. Reseal last year, blew out the drivers side cam seal. Passenger side drive shaft once, drivers side twice. New wheel bearings all around earlier this year. Disk brakes all the way around. Replaced the fuel pump on Tuesday of last week, got almost 3 years out of the last one. Oil changes regularly, and tune-ups every March. I really like the Wagon, it was free, and I don't have too many problems with it. Needs a front end alignment. I don't get the mileage that everyone on here gets but, it beats the Suburban by a mile.

Even with problems my subaru got me to florida, pulling a teardrop trailer (see avatar).

Spent the day working on the subaru in a short sleeve shirt (80f+ today :banana: :banana: ), I lost compresion on two cyliinders into the crank case while crossing the rockies:( .

del