Ultimate Subaru Message Board

trouble entering remote programming mode.

I have a 99 legacy outback wagon and 1 working remote. I bought a couple more on Ebay and have been trying to enter programming mode per that website everyone recommends. I have the alpine style remotes. Have tried unlocking doors, closing door, while holding brake turn key on (10 times aprox) until horn honks. Problem is that the horn never honks. Anybody know any tricks or have any tips?

-Mancomb

That was the website I was looking at, I think I have tried as many as 14 key cycles in 15 seconds. The one remote that came with the vehicle and works is the alpine style according to the pictures. The remotes I bought are also alpine style, but that does not matter since I can't seem to get into programming mode. I have also tried as some have suggested in other threads on USMB to disconnect and reconnect the battery before starting the procedure. Here is what I have been trying:

1. Unlock all doors with remote

2. Open drivers and get in vehicle

3. Close door and hold brake pedal down

4. Cycle key from off position to on position as fast as possible listening for honk

5. Nothing happens?

I am pretty sure all my doors are fully closed because the dome light is not staying on and the warning indicator on the I/C does not show any door open.

How should I unlock the doors? I've tried the remote and pushing the button inside to open all the doors. Should I use the key and just unlock the drivers door?

I'm thinking I might have to end up at the dealership, which I hate to do because I'm a Ford tech and dislike paying people to do what I do for a living.

Any ideas are much appreciated

By chance have you looked under the dash for the

keyless entry service button?

Maybe it

would help getting it into programing mode?

My MY00 Imp had one I needed to use for programing.

I'm sorry I can't remember which system it had.

I do not think it was your system though.

When turning key from off to on I think I hear 2 clicks and the dash lights do come on. I don't think I have the alarm option.
This previous post of mine may help: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showpost.php?p=390602

The key cycling has to be done carefully; if you're sloppy, the pulses aren't seen properly. Stop after the tenth cycle with the key in the LOCK position, but don't remove the key. That's when the horn should sound.

If that isn't clear, when I get a chance I'll post verbatim what it says in the owner's manual (pages 1-13 to 1-16). By the way, there's no mention of the brake pedal in the procedure.

When turning key from off to on I think I hear 2 clicks and the dash lights do come on. I don't think I have the alarm option.

vehicles equipped with alarm option have a "security" indicator light, in a panel that says "security" on it's lower edge, in the dash just to the left of the fog lamp switch. Vehicles without alarm option have a blank "knock-out panel" in the dash to the left of the fog lamp switch.