Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 Legacy 2.2L Oil Leak PLEASE HELP

I have a 1996 Legacy 2.2L Automatic, the car has 97,xxx miles on it. I have recently replaced several things to cure an oil leak and it still present.

Here is the list of what I have done so far.

Crankshaft Seal

Valve cover gaskets

Rear o-ring on camshaft cover

Timing belt

All idlers

All front timing belt bearings

Water pump

O-ring on oil filler

What could I be missing? This is my daughters car and she is taking it back to school after the holidays.

Thank you all in advance for your replies.

Nick

I also have a 96 2.2 my front cam seals started leaking at around 120,000 so i would look at those...if they are indeed leaking you will see oil at the timing cover....Also I would double check the pan gasket......I know i have had some oil leak out of my seperator plate which is on the rear of the engine ( not exactly sure which models/ years had the plate)...but it USUALLY gets trapped in the bell housing......if you have some time i would clean off the entire underside of the engine REALLY well than drive the car for a few days and take a look again to see where the oil is located.....good luck!:)

Take it to a car wash and use some spray degreaser and the high pressure hose to clean the bottom of the engine. Then drive it a few days and the leak should be easy to find. Whith what you've done so far it seems like it might be the seperator plate on the back of the engine under the flywheel.

you need to look for the oil leak, not just replace a few things. it should be really obvious if it's front/back/left/right.

obvious leak-prone items you did not mention are front cam seals, front cam oring (drivers side). are you sure you properly sealed the oil pump when you reinstalled it?

Alos the O-ring between in the high presure passage of the oil pump. It's between oil pump body and block, plus the rest of the mating surface is sealed with anerobic which can leak too. You should have included this on the timing belt job but oh well:rolleyes:

Any leak at the rear is probably the seperator plate and/or rear main

Oil pan a a last resort, Anerobic or Grey RTV only, no gasket.