Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mountain passes, traction tires, and AWD?

This is my first snow season in my 2000 OBW and I don't have traction tires (IE studded or Blizzacks). I'm wondering if I should stay off the Mountain Passes or if the AWD counts as "traction". I don't see much difference between my AWD and a 4WD vehicle driving the same roads with all-seasons. I'm planning on going snowboarding this weekend but I can't drop coin on a set of spare wheels and tires right now. And chains are out of the question for AWD Soobs right?BTW, my tires are only two months old and freshly siped.

I know from my experience with snow.....if i have my regular tires on my suby....it doesnt give me a sense of security....i have actually gotten stuck with my reg tires....i also have blizzaks and they do wonders for me....i would say if you have any doubts as to weather or not you will have trouble dont try and conquor it...:headbang:

i know you won't care and i probably wouldn't either but if the conditions are bad you probably shouldn't go. steep snow covered roads are seriously dangerous. i don't know the roads, amount of snow, and how well they maintain stuff but in general all season tires are horrible in this kind of terrain.

if it were me i would have a set of chains (or preferrably cables) and put them on only if needed, on the fronts.

In Washington State all season tires or M/S(Mud & Snow) are considered traction tires. My experience with a 91 & 95 AWD Subaru is that they drive well with All season tires in the snow. I personally mount snow tires (Les Schwab type) on my 91 and they do make a heck of difference in how they handle in slippery conditions. I recommend you get some when you get a chance. Regardless of what tire is installed I would not go into the snow with a tire with little tread depth. Lastly the most important thing is that you know yours and your cars limitations and never exceed them. Your head is the most effective safety device if it fails you are in big trouble.

Regarding snow chains I carry a set in my car and I have been in some very hazardous conditions but I have never had to use them.

Have fun Snowboarding and Drive safely.

This link explains what is considered a traction tire in washington state.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/winter/default.htm#tires

Your EXISTING tires are 2 months old, All Seasons and siped? GO!!

I wouldn't buy new snow tires (studless or studded) unless you move to where the snow is on the roads in town all winter...last time I checked Bellingham snow doesn't stick around for long. 75-90% of the trip is on bare and/or wet roads to the mtns in your area-not the compact snow and ice we enjoy over here in the Spokane-N. Idaho area.

The only exceptions are if the tires are not stock sizing and your experience. If your tires are wider than stock, the extra surface area is actually worse on snow-covered/slick roads....from what I've read/heard. AND, If you've NEVER driven in the snow, I'd reconsider making your 1st trip one into the mtns...try some flatland snow driving to get familiar w/it as Mr. GrossGary recommends.

I may be in the minority opinion here, but AWD w/All Seasons will get you to any resort in your area (unless you're beating the plows up and it's too deep!)....the only one I can't say for sure is Mt. Baker, as I didn't make it up there when I lived in Seattle....but remember the roads are usually plowed/sanded so the vast majority of skiers/boarders can get to the slopes.

AWD w/All Season tires doesn't require chains, even when posted, per WA. DOT requirements as All Seasons are considered 'snow tires' as previously stated. And if you do chain up (for peace of mind), you'll only need 'em on the front....as per your Owner's Manual.

Remember, AWD doesn't stop you any better! And (this may start a whole new discussion!) don't ride the brakes coming down the steep mtn roads...shift into 2nd or 3rd....but don't over-rev the engine. Yes, brake pads are cheaper than a tranny, but faded/over-heated brakes don't do much good either.

Lastly (about time!) if your OB has an LSD on the rear axle watch it when accelerating.....My VLSD kicks out a bit if I punch it...I think it's fun...my passengers not so much!:rolleyes:

I agree with wtdash. We've driven all-season equipped Subarus all over, in every road condition imaginable.

Now that we live in NW Montana we run studded snows in winter, but that's really only because of our driveway. The rest of the time we would be fine.

Drive for conditions, let the SUV's blow past you on the straights and wave to them as you pass them in the ditch later ... or piled into the back of the row of cars ahead at the first traffic light.

It's all about kinetic energy management on snow and ice ... don't build up too much of it, it's hard to dissapate.

Drive for conditions, let the SUV's blow past you on the straights and wave to them as you pass them in the ditch later ... or piled into the back of the row of cars ahead at the first traffic light.

I wanted to add that Subies are well-balanced for their weight vs. many of the larger SUVs and trucks.

I had an AWD truck that due to its extra heft was fine going straight, but turning was another matter....including stopping.

Thanks for all the replies fellas. I guess my main concern was the legal ramifications and DOT standards, but after reading the WADOT article sounds like I'm all good! For you locals, I will be hitting up Baker this weekend, and for the non-locals, Baker's roads are notoriously well maintained and plowed. My snow driving experience is well above average (helps that I "look" for reasons to drive into town when there's snow on the ground), and I'm super cautious in my older [wiser] years. Friday looks like I'm riding!!!