Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'05 dash compartment lid, the one in the middle.

The Pretty One got a new GPS for Christmas, and I want to install it in the compartment that would have housed an OEM GPS. I had hoped that the unit (TomTom One XL) would have fit in the compartment and be able to close the lid, but no luck.

Any clues how to remove the lid and the upper center console fascia without breaking anything? The local Subaru tecds couldn't bring the diagrams up from the dealer database.

I intend to drill a hole in the back and snake the power lead from somewhere so we don't have a cord dangling from the cigar lighter.

mtsmiths,

I've got 2 questions for you that you may not have thought of, or may not be a concern because you have them already covered. I'm not familiar with the make of GPS unit you have, but both of my units (another make) have to be placed on the dash with the built in antenna able to see the satellites through the windshield. With your unit inside the storage compartment you may not get a satellite signal rendering your GPS unit useless, unless you have the ability to purchase an add an external antenna to your unit and position it somewhere on the windshield. The other problem is the cautionary warning label inside the storage compartment that says because of trapped heat in the storage compartment, items placed there may overheat and become damaged. This may or may not be a problem since the factory GPS unit is installed in the same location, but there may some changes to the compartment that allows the heat to be expelled when the GPS option is purchased. Hope this is of some help!

(1) With your unit inside the storage compartment you may not get a satellite signal rendering your GPS unit useless ...

(2) The other problem is the cautionary warning label inside the storage compartment that says because of trapped heat in the storage compartment...

(1) With the door off, the GPS will sit with the built-in antenna well clear of the roof overhang, so signal reception shouldn't be a problem.

(2) It won't actually be 'in' the compartment, it will sit in the face of the opening, and will have plenty of air circulation. That said, I've never seen a GPS that put out enough heat to matter.

Thanks for the thoughts tho'.

The problem isn't heat output from the unit. It's in heat transmission through the windshield. I'd also worry about the Pretty One coming out to a smashed window, and a missing GPS unit. For my $$$ if I wanted it there, I'd simply leave the door open & velcro the unit in place. That way when it wasn't being used, it could be placed out of sight. I had a window broken in a car for a Passport radar detector. Not fun.

Fishing the power up to that area shouldn't be a huge issue.

The problem isn't heat output from the unit. It's in heat transmission through the windshield. I'd also worry about the Pretty One coming out to a smashed window, and a missing GPS unit. For my $$$ if I wanted it there, I'd simply leave the door open & velcro the unit in place. That way when it wasn't being used, it could be placed out of sight. I had a window broken in a car for a Passport radar detector. Not fun.

Fishing the power up to that area shouldn't be a huge issue.

I may well go that route crazyhorse, but haven't yet figgered out how to make it work. That said, smash'n'grab is not a big problem in Montana (yet) ... even the tweakers know that half the population is packing.

smash'n'grab is not a big problem in Montana (yet) ... even the tweakers know that half the population is packing.

Intreresting to note that in NYC where smash'n'grab is a time honored profession there also seems to be a fairly large percentage of the population who are packing... but they may be from the same segment of the population...

I think there will still be a heat issue from within the "covey hole".

Test it. Leave your cell phone inthe compartment for an entire week with with the lid up. Pull the phone out every now and then and see if it's hot (I think it will be).

You might be thinking, "Someone might steal my cell phone ". Well, now you can conduct two controlled experiments at once. If you come out to your car and your window's busted and the cell phone is gone, doesn't matter if it stayed cool in there, does it?

Juan

I think there will still be a heat issue from within the "covey hole".

Test it. Leave your cell phone inthe compartment for an entire week with with the lid up. Pull the phone out every now and then and see if it's hot (I think it will be).

You might be thinking, "Someone might steal my cell phone ". Well, now you can conduct two controlled experiments at once. If you come out to your car and your window's busted and the cell phone is gone, doesn't matter if it stayed cool in there, does it?

Juan

In the interst of scientific discovery, you could call then your own cell # and ask the new "owner" if any heat was detected when initially "acquiring" the phone.

In the interst of scientific discovery, you could call then your own cell # and ask the new "owner" if any heat was detected when initially "acquiring" the phone.

OK guys this has been just LOTS of fun ... but back to the question, how do I get the damn DOOR off?

BTW, it's an '06, but I don't think there would be any significant difference.

Actually, we keep the cell phone and a pocket calculator in there and there is no discernable heat ... 'sides, the GPS will be mounted on theface, and will be outside the hole.

mtsmiths.

Looks as if you pop off the bezel around the clock which will expose two screws that hold the center compartment down. I tried to give you a shot of the service manual for that part. Oh, this is from my '04 FSM which should be the same for your MY.