Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 Legacy Diagnosis, MAF Fixed

The check engine light has been on since the mid '90's. I just now figured out how to pull the codes and I believe it turned up a code 45. Here is the video of the flashing.

th_CheckEngine.jpg

I didnt understand the description of the code at all, anyone else had it?

Also I have been having trouble with the car running. I took of the IAC valve and cleaned the snot out of it with throttle body cleaner recommended by 86BRATMAN. I started it up after doing that and it still ran like crap after a few seconds.

Next, I cleaned the tar out of the MAF. Here is the pics of what it looked like after cleaning:

101_0259.jpg

Is that what a normal MAF is suppose to look like inside?

Here is the video of the end result:

th_Running.jpg

Does this seem like a normal running EJ22 to the rest of you all?

Thanks for the help in trying to diagnose this irritating issue.

Kyle.

I don't know the code read outs, so I can't help in that regard.

However, if it has been several years since this car has had a tune up, then I would suggest that you change the spark plugs and plug wires. A new oxygen sensor would also help driveability if the existing one is many years old.

That is a code 35, Purge control solenoid valve. Very common failure item on that vintage of Legacy. It is located on the RH side of the intake manifold, under #3 intake runner.

A failed PC solenoid valve should not cause any drivability, or runability problems.

From the vidio I can not tell any problem with the way the car is running. Maybe a discripition of the problem would be more helpful.

By your own video, you have code 35 and not 45.

Reading Haynes (which i suggest you buy): Purge control solenoid valve. Purge control solenoid remains in the ON or OFF position during operation.

I think this has to do with the Evaporative Emission Control System. If it's like on the 96, there's a black plastic canister at the right front of the engine compartment. One of the vac lines coming from it will lead you to the aformentioned solenoid. Maybe a vac line is leaking or disconnected.

Good luck!

Thanks guys, this was my first attempt at pulling codes off this old of a vehicle; am use to being able to hook my OBDII reader up and get them that way. The car will run fine for a few minutes then its like its being flooded, as my exhaust has a real strong gasoline smell, and my RPM's will drop.

Also,when I get on it, it seems to shift too early. Any other ideas?

Extra: My legacy is doing exactly how its described here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=19334&highlight=Purge+control+solenoid

The surging idle is most likely due to carbon build up in the IAC. If is looks like the one pictured in the linked thread, it is very easy to clean. If it looks different this cleaning methoed may or may not work.

Don't use carb or brake clean. I recommend WD-40 or Sea Foam in an aerosol can. Hook it up like the picture below, start the engine and spray cleaner while operating the throttle buy hand to keep engine running.

85_Hatch.jpg

I just reread your first post, were you said you cleaned the IAC with throttle body cleaner.

I was thinking you had cleaned the throttle body. My mistake.

OK, if you have completely removed and cleaned the IAC twice, then may very well not the problem.

What is the condition of the tune? Plugs, wires, air and fuel filter. How many miles since replacement?

Have you checked for vacuum leaks?

I just reread your first post, were you said you cleaned the IAC with throttle body cleaner.

I was thinking you had cleaned the throttle body. My mistake.

OK, if you have completely removed and cleaned the IAC twice, then may very well not the problem.

What is the condition of the tune? Plugs, wires, air and fuel filter. How many miles since replacement?

Have you checked for vacuum leaks?

Air filter is good I checked it yesterday when I had the MAF out. The plugs and wires are my next step, gonna purchase those probably the next pay check. Lord knows how many miles it has been since they were replaced, I drove it about a year ago and has been sitting pretty much since then.

Was going to check for vacuum leaks today but it rained all day so I will try and check them tomorrow.

Thanks,

Kyle

First thing's first, you need to replace the canister purge solenoid.

You can do all these different tests and cleaning, etc. But as long as you have an active code stored in the ECU, you may have other issues that are not showing up because of it, or you may be having issues because of the cpc.

In theory you shouldn't have any drivability issues with the CPC failed, but I remember a thread or two where there were the car wouldn't idle/run too smoothly. So, just to make sure that isn't the problem, I'd suggest replacing it. Plus the ECU is funny where it won't show other codes, or clear the codes stored if a code 35 is present. So just bear with me, replace it, clear the codes and go from there.

If you haven't run across my site, I'd check it out for reading codes, etc.

www.surrealmirage.com/subaru under engine related.

The only weird thing I noted is that there were two quick flashes at the beginning of the first video with the CEL flashing. Are you connecting the black connectors or green connectors to check the codes?

As for the way your car is running in the second video, I don't see anything out of the ordinary. Any additional details you can provide of the specific problems you're having would help.

Josh

If you used the green connectors, you were in D-check mode rather than Read memory mode. This mode will only tell you if there is a malfunction at the time that the test is being ran. Will not give any history codes for intermittent problems that are not occuring at the time.

To read the memory you need the black connectors connected and the green disconnected. Key on engine off. Chances are good that there will be a lot of codes stored in the memory. Funny thing about these OBD I cars if they are driven for a long time with any fault, they will start storing false codes. So don't be suprized if there is a long list of codes in the memory.

I connected the black plugs today and got the new codes:

th_101_0270.jpg

I don't seem to have much trouble when idling in park, my real struggle comes when I put it in gear and start driving. I have to put in Neutral at red lights and give it gas to keep it from dying. I started the car and sprayed the tar out of the IAC again with this time it running, drove it and it still did the same thing. I checked for vaccum leaks and couldnt find any either.

I watched this video on youtube:

And I do believe that could be the cuase of some of my issues. I to believe the MAF could be bad, just the way it cuts out and bucks like its getting a bad connection especaially while driving as my issues are fairly small when sitting in park. I will go check junkyard on Monday since they have a 91 wagon and plan to snag both parts, what does your all canister solenoid look like?

I found this pic:

DCP_2471.JPG

Don't really know what I am looking at, but I remember seeing this area when I took the IAC off and cleaned it. Going to go to the junkyard in the morning, how would I go about getting this off and replacing it, whatever it is.