Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Exhaust pipe repair 98 outback

Help'

My flange between the middle pipe and the forward muffler pipe is rusted out :mad:

I would like to do a temp fix until after winter? Cut out the flange and slip a slightly larger pipe over both ends where the flange use to be. Has anyone done this and WHAT SIZE PIPE WILL SLIDE OVER THEM????? Also I plan on using clamps because I don't have a welder.

Blaze,

Its been 20 years but I had a similar problem on an older pickup. Don't waste your time dinking around with it yourself. Take it to a muffler shop and they will be able to remove the old flange, clean it and the pipe up, put in a reinforced section of pipe over the existing pipe and reweld both together with the flange, after they rebolt the flange to its mate. It won't take them more than a half hour and it'll be done right without any exhaust gases leaking into the interior of the car. Depending on how solid your pieces are, the repair may last longer than the rest of the system. Good Luck!

If you have a family owned muffler shop, not a national chain shop, you should be able to buy a permanent repair for under $50. They will be able to torch off the rusted out part, and weld in a replacement pipe. Job should not take more than 15 minutes. The national chain shops are only trained to replace the entire exhaust system at sizeable cost. If you are in the North as I am, crawling around under a car in freezing weather is not what I want to do this time of year.