Ultimate Subaru Message Board

on my 90 legacy i have 2 in the front and 1 in the back. how strong are these. are they designed only for when the car is broke down to tow it? or can i put a chain on there and pull someone out of the mud without the risk of breaking them off.

You are mistaking "Tie down points" with "tow hooks".

Different thing, different function, I would consider using a rope on one to temporarily pull a "rolling load", not "stuck in the mud", not "stuck in the snow", and not "rolling load" greater than the weight of your car.

i was thinking they would be strong enough i just wanted another opinion. me and a few friends of mine like to go up on the mountain roads sometimes when we get snow and you never know when someone will need pulled or i will need pulled.

Ive towed many a things from those hooks, havnt snapped one off yet. To be honest i cant really see anything else on the front of most cars thats practical to tow them by.

And for those of us without a hitch that like pulling non-soobs out of the mud - what else is there? :-\

The recall on my 95 Legacy had the front tow hooks cut off by the dealer. Seems that a few blokes were ramming steep ramps at speed and setting off their airbags. So, if anybody has a 95 Legacy and still has their front tow hooks, slow down when you make your mad lunchtime dash to your local fast food drive-thru entrance...

When I still had them, they were wonderful tie down points for oversized stuff I'd load up on my wagon (kayaks, Home Depot & Lowes stuff, etc.). They looked pretty solid but I wasn't able to put them to any towing test.

I was really bummed when I found out my local Subie dealer had cut them off during a routine service stop without my knowlege or consent:mad: