Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What type of final drive do i have?

almost positive it'll be a 3.9 the only other possibility is 4.11..but not because it was offered just because i can't remember exactly. the manuals are the easiest to look up with a search. some plugging around here or on the internet will pull up a large spread sheet of all the manual trans final drive ratios. auto's are more difficult to verify.

thank you..i did a few searches but didnt really find anything concrete...alot of "possibly's" and "it could's".....I have also searched =extensively for a 1996 4eat clutch and band application chart. Do you have any idea were i could find one?....thank you again for your help. :)

I have a 1996 legacy 2.2 with a 5 spd....any insight on the different final drive ratios that were offered that year??? :confused:

96 2.2L M/T is a 3.9

96 2.2L A/T is a 4.11

96 2.5L M/T is a 4.11 (outback, gt, & lsi)

96 2.5L A/T is a 4.44 (outback, gt, & lsi)

the only exception to this is, the 96 2.2L outback A/T, it has a 4.44.

Look up the TY number on your car's transmission bell housing or on the VIN# plate on the driver's side fender well. It'll be something like TY752VA5AA. Then look up that number in the transmission information thread in the USRM. It'll tell you the differential ratio of the transmission and the rear end ratio.

It will be either 3.900 or 4.111, most likely 3.900.