Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2003 Forester Lurch/Delay from R to D

I own a 2003 Subaru Forester X automatic transmission which I've been very happy with. The only flaw in the car is that periodically after I shift from reverse to drive and then proceed to accelerate, the car will lurch or there will be a delay in the response from the accelerator, and it kind of feels like the car is skidding. It also happens occasionally when I "floor" it from a dead stop. There's a delay in response in the first second and then everything is ok. No big deal, just wondering what could be causing this quirk? I'm also thinking it might be the normal engagement of the AWD system.

On another note--for my second car, I've always had an older late 80's midsize GM car with a cold R12 a/c system for those hot Arizona summers. I was wondering if you could recommed an under $5000 pre 1996 (no head gasket problems) Subaru automatic transmission car that's peppy/lots of torque for city driving and with a cold A/C system? Are Subaru a/c systems cold and reliable in general? I see a lot of used car ads for GM cars made in the last 10 yrs with R134a that say "new a/c compressor" or needs new a/c compressor." So far so good on my Subaru Forester's R134 a/c so maybe it's just a recent GM thing, I don't know.

How long, in seconds, is the delay when shifting from reverse to drive (if you can measure in seconds with a watch that would be best). Some delay is normal, I forget the permissible amount, I think about 2 seconds. It has to engage/disengage clutches/bands/etc.

The a/c compressor thing: often a particular make/model/year range will have one (or more!) failures, which of the failures it has, are the common failures. That is probably one of the (possibly many) failures on that GM vehicle. Rest assured! Ih aven't seen such a/c posts for soobs, plus GM dones't own any part of Subaru anymore AFIAK (now Toyota does though I believe).

On another note--for my second car, I've always had an older late 80's midsize GM car with a cold R12 a/c system for those hot Arizona summers. I was wondering if you could recommed an under $5000 pre 1996 (no head gasket problems) Subaru automatic transmission car that's peppy/lots of torque for city driving and with a cold A/C system?

Yes, anything with the 2.2L (pre or post 96), which did not have any typical HG failure mode. 96 and earlier is nice because engine is non-interference. They're not exactly speed demons but I don't think they're too bad.

If you specifically want something with R12 refrigerant, you'd probably have to get back into the early 90's to find that on a soob. I don't know why you'd want R12 though because it is very expensive though some shops have some left, or you'd have to get the Subaru conversion kit to switch to 134A (whihc typicalyl includes new accumulator, o-rings, etc).

Oh yes on the R to D thing, you should be waiting a second or two for the AT to engage into D before hitting the gas.