Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what syptoms do you get with a bad ignitor?

Hesitation/miss, sometimes bucking. and after it's been running for a long time, and I'm driving in stop and go conditions, it'll sometimes feel like complete spark cut, and will backfire when the fuel gets dumped to the turbo/cat....

idle would sometimes drop, but now recently, the idle is acting up, and sometimes just dies. I can restart, but barely runs. again, this is after warmed up and running for a while...

more background:

swapped/replaced/tested:

======================

MAF (swap with know good one)

New Coil

MAP/Baro Sensor

Air Exchange solenoid

Boost Control Solenoid - tested OK

TPS - tested OK

New FI Temp Sensor

New Knock Sensor

New NGK Iridium Plugs

8mm Plug wires tested OK (12k miles on them)

has stock ej22t exhaust currently, but I've got a 3" catless downpipe coming, and will have high flow cat and new 3" exhaust put on, along with a new O2 sensor as well....

has never thrown a CEL yet...

def sounds like a bad ignitor, that thing by the firewall, however check your grounds too, the connections tend to get all messy during winter season

have u checked your knock sensor? finally try a different set of cables

I would get another known good ignitor and swap it in. They can drive you up the wall to diagnose.

nipper

fuel pump okay?

i would probab ditch the iridium plugs, go with NGK Vpower BKR6E-11

do you have a steth scope, wouldnt hurt to listen to the injectors for good pulse.

hows the alternator

yeah, having enough gas is never a problem :)

the alternator appears to be good, but a VM is one of the additional gauges I'll be installing....

though I will be putting in a different battery

I've got a new set of '97 Outback plug wires I'd trade for a new set for a '96 wires :)

I need to remove the TMIC to get to the ignitor, then relocate it....

97ENG2.JPG

well, swapped out the ignitor, and took it for a spin... after about 20-25 minutes of driving, it was well up to temp, and once I got into traffic lights, and had to stop, the idle started getting goofy and huge misses. had to keep it running, and make sure I kept the revs up so I could leave the light...

got to my destination. after about 25 minutes we left, and after a little bit, it started acting up again. as long as I kept it on boost, it seems okay, but if I'm at about 1/4 throttle or less, just cruising, it occasionally gets jerky.

I have a few more wiring things to check yet.

I know the IACV helps control the idle, but does it taper off thenwhen you get on the throttle?

I tend to think the problem is with the fuel delivery though I may be wrong. If you haven't changed the fuel filter yet I suggest you do that and if that dosen't help you may try the fuel pump. May car had symptoms like you describe and a new pump did the trick.

I thought I had a charging problem, but found a loose POS batt cable. fixed that before the last run, as well as a differnt ignitor. symptoms still there...

tonight did:

new fuel filter

removed partially installed FCD

new plug wires (though there are *JUST* long enough. really need some longer ones....there is no slack in wire #4 :) )

will test tomorrow afternoon....

Success.... well, sort of....

it was back to the same old tricks by the time I got home tonight....

I left it running whne I got home, and tried to adjust the IAC, but still erratic. then I unplugged the O2 sensor. revved it a bit, and smoothed right out. did some more driving, and not even a spec of hesitation/jerking...

so the O2 sensor was trimming the fuel back too much.....

Good deal McBrat. Glad you fixed it and thanks for the feedback.

well, not totally fixed yet, though running 100x better.

still a bit of jerking but easily to drive around...

I'll probably put a aftermarket fuel pump in it next.