Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help

cd45

I finally got the Brat on the road and legal today. I drove it 6 miles to the gas station to fill her up. On the way back, as I was pulling out of the station, it started the smoking thing again. Big clouds of white smoke out of the tail pipe. I thought I fixed that when I plugged the hole under the carb. It has the Weber carb, and I was told to plug the hole since it is not needed by the Weber. It worked until I drove it today. I did not smoke until after driving for 6 miles. I really need this to work, the wagon is down right now and my Suburban does not get good enough milage to be my daily driver. Any ideas will be appreciated. Other than that, it drove great, had enough power on the hills to not lose any speed, even with the 3AT. Thanks guys.

I used JB Weld to seal it. Would the tranny fluid in the system make the milage go down? I filled up today, drove 50 miles and the gauge shows a little over 1/4 tank used. I am going to go fill it again to make sure the problem is not the gauge. The smoke does smell like tranny fluid. I called the local parts house and they list it for $18, should be here tomorrow.

Chances are if you did the JB weld right and let it sit for 24 hours or how ever long they say to let it sit for you are fine. I would check what the people above mentioned before you worry about your JB weld. I JB welded mine at the beginning of the summer and havent had a problem with it yet...knock on wood.

The gas gauge is broken. It showed that I had used half a tank of gas for 50 miles. I could only get 2.4 gallons in it, so I am very happy. After I get the new vacuum modulator installed, I hope the milage will go up a little. It should because it won't be burning tranny fluid. Thanks for the info guys. And cobcob, I love being able to drive the Brat, it does very well at hiway speeds.

OK, here is my day. I got up and fixed the wagon. Had to replace the timing belt idler pulley and timing belt. After that, I went to the parts store and got the vacuum modulator for the Brat. Came home, installed it, and so far, no smoke. Thanks for the help guys, I really am glad to have the Brat on the road. Now, to fix the oil leak around the pump.

OK, here is my day. I got up and fixed the wagon. Had to replace the timing belt idler pulley and timing belt. After that, I went to the parts store and got the vacuum modulator for the Brat. Came home, installed it, and so far, no smoke. Thanks for the help guys, I really am glad to have the Brat on the road. Now, to fix the oil leak around the pump.

Thats great news!!!! Happy to hear..now we want pics;)