Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Reusing Gearbox Drain Plug Washer?

Went to my local Subaru dealer's parts dept to get a drain plug washer for my Sube's gearbox. They told me that it's a special order item. Apparently, the service dept just reuses the old washer. Hmm, anyone think there's a problem with doing that?

I've reused the washer for the oil pan drain plug before without problems, so I'd imagine it's ok for the gearbox.

Anyway, just double checking here; ya never know.

By the way, anyone know the washer size in case I'd like to get a hold of one at a general auto supply place?

Hi. I think that part is 803926070 CRUSH RING FOR FRONT DIFF DRAIN PLUG. The correct size copper sealing washer from the parts store should work. Reusing them usually works but Subaru does say they are a one-time use only item.

I have some of these at home, I think it says the size on it or I can measure it. I have all auto trans soobs though, but I think it's the same drain as for MT"s.

I did read on some site this person says you can re-anneal the copper by putting the washer it on a brick and heating it with a torch until it glows and then letting it cool. Not sure if that actually works or not.

The point I was making is that the Subaru parts dept does NOT keep the gearbox washers in stock; they're special order only. I'd have to place an order for one...strange, since they do keep oil pan drain plug washers in stock.

So either the service dept techs reuse the old washers when refilling the gearboxes or they have their own special stash of them.

I guess I'll either get a plain ol' non-crush copper washer or reuse the old one.

Actually, if I could find a source for readily available copper crush washers of the correct size, I'd be delighted. But copper non-crush washers seem to be easily available while crush washers aren't. I just called several local auto supply stores but none carry crush washers, only flat ones.

I'm looking for a good crush washer source. I buy them 1/2 doz or dozen at a time at Subaru. Oddly enough Subaru and Volvo both seem to have the largest oil plugs and they are the same size. The 2 packs at the retail auto parts are basically the same price per washer.

I still pay nearly a dollar each I think(I'm due to repurchase). I'd gladly buy more at a time for a significant savings.

If you find a source please post it here and/or PM me. I'd even settle for soft aluminum or copper flat washers. The copper assortments don't have one that large in them.

One old Subaru guy said that they used to get them from their supplier that supplied key blanks years ago.

My local dealer says that the shims for setting valves are a special order item. I gotta believe the crush washer you're looking for has to be the same situation. The guys in the garage must have their own stash to be able to do their work. Now how you could find out if the folks in the garage have any and who would get the money may get a bit sticky.

Thanks,

Dave

The oil pan drain plug head is 17mm; the 17mm crush washers are a buck a piece at the dealer.

Just remembered that the gearbox drain plug head is 22mm, and those 22mm crush washers are over three dollars each at the dealer, special order.

Since the gearbox drain intervals are 30,000 miles, many of us don't need more than one or two at a time.

I change my Subie's engine oil (I use full synthetic) every 5000 miles, so three or four washers at time is all I really need.

I use easily a couple dozen a year. A dozen just for the GF's 2006 Impreza - she travels 100mi round trip to work a day. If I could get a deal on 50 or something I'd go for it. I know most people re-use them or never use them but I like a fresh one with every change if possible.

I'd like to find a source for my VW's as well. I haven't looked in a while - perhaps tonight is Google night. I just thought that perhaps you had turned up a good source on your quest.

Dave

I'm looking for a good crush washer source.

I still pay nearly a dollar each I think(I'm due to repurchase). I'd gladly buy more at a time for a significant savings.

i have over 100 oil pan and/or trans pan drain plug crush washers. i bought an auction lot of subaru stuff from a retired , cleaning out my stock, subaru machanic. most of the items i bought have/had subaru part numbers, these washers did not. FOR SALE half price, make me an offer.

i also have a bunch of ac idler bearings, a few ac compressor bearings ( i think).

some oem hose clamps, various sizes.

and a $hit load of o-rings, some with part number, most not.

a door light switch

a trans neutral cut out switch - for older subarus - i'll have to check

an oil pressure sending unit - for older subarus - i'll have to check

1 ea. ignition coil pack new, OEM - subaru part # 22433aa400 .....................

fits: Impreza, 2.2L 1995 – 1998; Legacy 2.2L 1995 – 1998; Legacy 2.5L 1995 - 1998

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4600&d=1169305226

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4601&d=1169305226

holler if you have any interest.

i have over 100 oil pan and/or trans pan drain plug crush washers. i bought an auction lot of subaru stuff from a retired , cleaning out my stock, subaru machanic. most of the items i bought have/had subaru part numbers, these washers did not. FOR SALE half price, make me an offer.

PM sent