Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which parts should always be OE?

After my recent trials that led to the wisdom that aftermarket axles aren't good for Subarus (at least '03 Outbacks), I'm wondering if folks here have opinions about other parts that, more or less, should never be replaced with anything but Subaru parts. I've read some people's preference for only Soob timing belts, and I'm particularly curious about that as I just had mine replaced with a NAPA. I'd like to continue supporting my local shop but want to be sure and ask him to get Soob parts when it can make a difference.

Anything else? Opinions?

I would add any sensor, i.e. MAF, cam angle, crank angle, etc. Spark plug wires. O2 sensors (at least the front o2). Subaru OEM hoses, esp coolant, seem to be very high quality. Alternators for sure (Subaru OEM reman).

Typically the least expensive source for OEM Subaru parts are shipped from Subaru dealers who sell parts online. There are dozens. Often times this way the price for an OEM Subaru part is not much more expensive than the aftermarket anyway.

this is model dependant as well. not all subaru's have the same answer... so keeping in mind this is the newer gen forum, this information won't necessarily pertain to old generation stuff.

OEM NGK plugs and Subaru wires. (magnecor is the only suitable alternative in my opinion - that's all i use actually). but most people do and should use OEM.

PCV and Thermostat should definitely be Subaru - the Thermostat differences are amazing (pictures are posted on this site of the differences).

Also - on newer or interference engines (1997+ EJ22 and all EJ25's) it's not a bad idea to stick with Subaru only on the timing belts. For and older high mileage vehicle I wouldn't be against an aftermarket belt, but otherwise i'd stick with Subaru.

Just last night I was driving our Outback (my wife's car) and noticed something that might be related. After we started from cold (in the 20s, so pretty cold) the temp ran hotter than I had previously ever noticed it go before falling back to "normal". Could these be a thermostat issue - taking longer to kick in? It didn't concern me at the time cause it didnt go to red or anything, but it was higher than I had ever noticed before. (Yes, we had the thermostat replaced with the timing belt, and it was a aftermarket - geesh.)

Right on, service manual! Forgot about that one. Can get used printed copies for earlier soobs on ebay. I like http://www.alldatadiy.com they have the oe subaru service info and TSB's by subscription. Of course there is techinfo.subaru.com which is very nice and you can order the manuals on cd.

..........block heater................................axle spring/roll pin

blockheater1-sm.jpgrollpin1-sm.jpgspringpindim-sm.jpg