Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'97 EJ25 Rebuild: Tips Please!!

Other than "Don't do it, put in an EJ22." I already have all the parts and it's my mothers car. 1997 Legacy Outback EJ25 4EAT. I've done timing jobs and motor swaps and all of that before. I'm replacing:

Drive Belts

Timing Belt / Pulleys / Tensioner

Radiator / Water Pump

Oil Pan

PCV Valve / Knock Sensor

Air / Fuel / Oil filters

Spark Plugs / Ignition Wires

And I have an Overhaul Gasket Set to do the actual rebuild.

1. Does it seem like I forgot anything?

2. Is there anything I need to take care to not damage while I'm pulling this thing apart? Aside from the valve clearance thing with the timing.

3. Any specific pointers to make this job quicker/easier/more quality?

4. Can you turn up the heat in Nebraska?

5. I plan to do a write up with pictures and I will give credit where credit is due for any assistance. Thanks Guys!:headbang:

Go to www.endwrench.com in the archives and read the engine section.

Why is this engine being rebuilt?

Did it have piston slap before? if it did, there is a fix for that, replacing two pistons (I think its the passenger side, don't remember).

rear seperator plate needs to be replaced with the metal one.

A valve job, just like if it blew a HG.

Subaru Head Gaskets.

Subaru thermostat and new radiator cap.

Subaru wires

Check the specs on the oil pump. If the housing is good, I would look into new gears. Never makes sense to build a new engine with an ancient oil pump.

nipper

OEM gasket sets, at least for the year I worked on ('98) do not automatically come with the valve cover gaskets or spark plug gaskets. Make sure you have those too. I'm not sure why a gasket set doesn't come with them, but a dealer speculated it was because there were like 3 different kinds of valve cover gaskets and they are not interchangable.

If it hasn't been mentioned yet, don't radiator hoses and have some spare clamps handy just in case the originals don't hold tight anymore.

It also wouldn't hurt to do the transmission front input shaft seal, and if it's an automatic, to do the goofy graphite c-clip shaped torque converter shaft seal.

Oh yeah I'm 99.9% that it's a blown head gasket... everything I listed above is genuine subaru parts.. so...

A valve job.. is that just cleaning/adjusting them? Or is there more to it?

Where is the oil pump? Is it something I can change after I do the job or is it inside the motor?

I have a new thermostat and hoses too they're the only thing that's not subaru parts..

rear seperator plate needs to be replaced with the metal one. <-- is that something I need to buy? Can I live without doing that?

Not splitting the case...

How important is it to do the ring seal?

Thanks guys!

Get yourself a haynes manual and get familair with it.

A valve job is extreemly important. May as well stop now if your not doing one. Also you need the cylinder head machined to get a nise flat surface.

Oil pump is checked before the timing belt is on, and while assemblying the engine. Its on the front of the engine.

Thermostat is one of those thigs that have to be subaru part, porcupine will be more then happy to show you why :).

No you cant live with the plastic seperator plate, as it will be a source of a HUGE oil leak with time.

Ring seal?

nipper

eye1.gif Anyone need any pictures for this thread? some can be clicked to enlarge

thermostat comparison

thermostat1-sm.jpg

metal oil separator upgrade

rms-metal1-sm.jpg

oil pump is at the front of the engine between the block and crank sprocket

in this pic it is behind the crank sprocket and has the red/orange colored crank angle sensor on it

cranksprocket-96at.jpg

oil pump - can see the brown colored front crank seal in this pic

mickeyinstalled1.jpg

Yes after removing the oil pump, make sure to loctite these screws on the rear. o-ring part # is different for certain engines. One appears to be just a normal o-ring, the other is a slightly flattened o-ring with a ridge on it.

oilpump-rev1-md.jpg

oilpump-obv1-md.jpg

oil pump removed and o-ring location

oilpumporing1.jpg

Thanks for the great pics!

I knew the thermostats looked different.. is there some reason it makes some kind of difference other than they are 1 degree difference?

So I need to buy this metal oil separator upgrade and should I just get a new oil pump then?

I have a manual but it only goes up to 96.. I didn't think the manuals were out for 97 and up?

Is it hard to explain what a valve job entails?

I have to order parts because we're hundreds of miles from any Subaru dealer. :dead:

Haynes manual is from 1990-1998.

Yes you need the metal cover.

Usually with the oil pump, if the housing checks out, all you need are the gears. This should be explained in the Haynes manual.

Look at the two thermostats. The subaru is bigger for much more effecient coolant flow, and it has what is called a jiggle valve on it, to help get rid of air in the engine.

nipper

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm getting ready to take this engine apart it's finally been above freezing yesterday and today!! I just want to ask if I still need to locktite the screws on the back of the oil pump because we went ahead and got a new one anyway.. or if I can just leave it since it is new? my mom really wants this car to last.

On a new oil pump, I usually clean the area around the screws with some solvent and apply loctite green (wicking type), and it will soak down into the threads. The new screws are in there pretty tite and you risk stripping them if you try to remove with just a screwdriver.

Yes Haynes manuals are available for those model years, 90-99. If you bought your haynes before 99 it might say '90-98 or some earlier year? They have some sections where they just give their 'boilerplate' standard instructions which leaves some room to be desired.

Valve lash adjustment, timing belt, and many other good articles are available free on http://www.endwrench.com (click archives, then enter search term ie valve timing etc)

Thanks for the great pics!

Is it hard to explain what a valve job entails?

A valve job consists of removing the valves grinding the valves seats (in the head) and the valve faces where they seat against the seats. Also new valves guides are installed. The valves are reinstalled with new seals.