Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Default Gear...96' Legacy 4EAT?

not sure what you mean, can you tell us why you're asking?

when driving, the TCU doesn't "default" to anything, why would you want it to default to 1st gear when you're doing 80 mph down a mountain grade? i'm confused.... when not driving...well it "defaults" to whatever you have it in..neutral.....

Its bit more complicated then that. Subaru when in limp mode limits the car to 50 mph (4500 rpm), and disables the lockup torque converter. I also think it wont go into 4th gear, but ill have to check. The car also becomes gutless. This will occure with a loss of both vss sensors, if one VSS reads dramaticlly different then the other (like a broken axle). The ignition timing is modified to prevent engine damage.

The failsafe mode for the AWD is full 50/50 split when there is a duty c failure.

The limp home mode can be forced by driving with the test connectors under the dash hooked up (the infamous green connnectors). These connnectors are used for flashing the ECU.

I'll read through the manuals and see what i can find. Soobys dont go in this mode often, so i cant recall exaclty what they do aside from the RPM cut and road speed.

thanks for your help nipper...like ive said i have searched for hours for the answer to this question and cant come up with one.......by the way you seem very intelligent when it comes to anything Subaru. Like every question i post you come back with a very informative answer.....so thank you......;)