Ultimate Subaru Message Board

another ea82 axle thread...

well, stupid me got a wrong sized punch stuck inside of the roll pin on the tranny end.

then, stupid me broke the punch, resulting in roll pin expansion.

and icing on the cake, the real punch i needed didnt punch out the pin, but "morphed" the broken piece of punch and roll pin together, so it looks like one piece.

what in the heck do i do?

Wow, this sounds like when my friend and I tried to take his axle off of his ea81. I think someone managed to get the roll pin in when it was a tooth off. We were taking the tranny out anyways so we left the axle attached then removed the tranny, that was very odd.

When we had it out, I stuck a cutting torch in the hole and it heated up the rollpin material way before the axle or stub got warm. Once the material was glowing we tried to punch it out, worked a little bit. So I got it red hot again and then blew it out with the torch.

If you're not taking the transmission out, try heating it up, the roll pin. Make the pin red hot without making the stub or axle cup red hot, then hammer a punch through it.

im just gonna take a torch to it... no way in hell is that pin coming out. I got a punch stuck in one end, then me and a buddy decided to try to punch it out from the other side, and whaddaya know, same crap happened, punch broke off. im nut and bolting the axles; this roll pin crap is ridiculous.do I have to get a special kind of torch, or will any one work?

different torches hit different temps, obviously.. but any old blowtorch ought to heat the roll pin up, the difference would only be a matter of how quickly.

I am ALL about the nut and bolt method on this one, I don't like dealing with pins inside a vehicle. It is one thing to use a roll pin or a spring pin like this, on something that can be set on a workbench and worked on properly... but not on a driveshaft.

Not sure if it helps in your case but I mushroomed one end of roll pin inside the doj. Ended up pounding it IN as far as it would go then cut off the end sticking out then punched it back in so it was in the center and the joint slid right off.

Good luck, I think we have all been there.

I don't give a rat's rump roast about my post count. I was giving the ol' Nelson because I've been there. You'll live, get over it.

Who are you talking to?

Anyway...

I took the car to a buddy's shop, used an air chisel and a torch... Blew out about half of the roll pin then from there, my buddy torched it while I pryed on the axle, came right out. Took us a whole five hours :lol:

Now my alignment is screwed up, car seems to rather turn left than right, and it kinda feels like a "constant hydroplane".

Oh yah... also, if you have both front wheels jacked up off the ground, and the car is in Park, are the wheels still supposed to turn?!?

I believe the wheels will turn in

oposite directions

The park pawl is in the tranny and locks the differenial

input shaft thus it is still open to turn it's output shafts.

I hate automatic transmissions. Thanks skip, for leading the blind. :lol:

Cracker-boy, if all else fails and you need to lock the wheels up, you know the rope-in-the-cylinder trick, right? I managed to do both of my axles without doing it that way, but if you already have one wheel off then you're gonna need something to lock the engine.