Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sonova! I grenaded another tranny!

Sorry Moosens, the tranny you sold me put up the good fight, but it's toast now. How many miles did that one have on it?

I was breaking trail through the snow so that my friends tacoma could follow my tracks up. There was a large waterbar in the abanoned road, big enough that you drive the car down into it, then climb out the other side. On the last one of them, I rolled into the throttle to climb up the other side and there was the rapid fire BAM BAM BAM that I've grown to recognise and hate. I figured I'd smoked another diff untill I put it in 2wd and it was still making noise.

I pulled it to the side, and we continued up in my friends Taco. Made it about 100yds further before the truck was buried. It doesn't do well when it doesn't have a trail broken for it. We ended up getting his truck so buried that he had to call in a friend with a Cherokee to come and try pulling him out. The cherokee had a rear locker and 35" MT's, and ended up sinking to the axles trying to pull the Taco out. He couldn't even move the taco. So we used the Jeep to drag my car up the trail close enough that I could hook my winch cable up to the Taco. Winched him out no problem. I had to reverse down a mile of trail in 2wd to get out of the woods. Ended up sliding out and almost hitting a tree on the way down.

Drove it home, and had to ride the handbrake the whole time to keep the transmission loaded because it would start locking up if I let it coast.

I think I stripped the rear drive gears.

I'll have the tranny out in another hour, I've got it stripped down so that the only things left holding it in are reachable from above.

Yup, smoked the rear drive gears. This is the second time I've done this.

The two gears aren't fully meshed. The pinion shaft one is like a 1/4" offset forward of the rear driveshaft one. I can't remember if there's some thrust washer for these gears other than the double ball bearing main pinion shaft thrust bearings. Something doesn't seem right about the gears not lining up.

I discovered just how trashed my inner CV was too. It's a GCK axle, 6 months old at the max, and I noticed the boot was leaking. It has vibrated under acceleration since the day I put it in. There was a shard of metal poking out through the hole in the boot. I pulled the boot back to find that all three of the tripod bearings had disintegrated, and the three rollers were riding right on the tripod. Unfortunately GCK uses a different axleshaft spline, so I can't put one of my spare subaru inner CV's on.

• 2 months later...

So now it's late April, and the transmission I put in to replace this one has let go.

It was a transmission I had blown up before, and I put rear drive gears into it out of a trans I found dumped in the woods. Lasted 5mo's before it grenaded, and it really let go. Something in the front diff went, jammed into the side of the case, and cracked the bottom of the housing. All my gear oil left a trail of shame as I limped it back home.

So here I am, another sunday, another tranny swap.

GCK's use tripod style DOJ's.

This is the third D/R tranny I've blown out of this car, this was the first one I blew, I put another set of gears in it while driving the car with a tranny I picked up, when that one blew, I put the rebuilt old one back in. It lasted from january to now and blew. It sheared off the bottom of the case right around where the drainplug goes.

So now I'm putting a fresh used D/R tranny that I hope will last out this cars last 8 1/2 months on the road.

I'm starting to notice that the unibody of my loyale is becomeing a wear item. The more and more frequent welding of the suspension mounting points back to the rest of the body was the first sign,...

This could have something to do with it.....:grin:

Is this what you mean about the tranny lasting until the car retires?

I know slop in the chassis has spelled disaster for a few of my latest CV's.

and I put rear drive gears into it out of a trans I found dumped in the woods.
are you serious? you found a soob trans randomly dumped in the woods?! wow!
I'm starting to notice that the unibody of my loyale is becomeing a wear item. The more and more frequent welding of the suspension mounting points back to the rest of the body was the first sign,...
wow! you're really welding suspension points back in place? how do you do that and what is being welded?

Yeah, everyone in class had a good laugh about me finding a matching donor tranny in the woods. It was out in the state forest, someone had dumped an EA82, carbed with the tranny, and a th350. Stripped them both down and built one out of the pile of parts. Everthing was torqued to specs with an impact gun.

Specs are EJ22, EA82 dual range, LSD rear, GCK front halfshafts, 235/75r15 BFG A/T's.

90miles commuting each day, wheeling when I can. I've used the car for a fair number of recovery missions, the largest being an extended cab K2500 buried to the axles in snow. Plus getting the car stuck is often brutal on the transmission, as the only way I can get the car out is by myself.

The body of the car is literaly cracking apart, and at this point in the game it's bracing and damage control. The rear subframe has had all 4 of it's attachment points welded and braced. A chunk of the body will tear off, and I'll weld and patch it back on. Up front, the radius rod mounts have been patched up by Konrad a few times now. THe drivers side has plating on the inside floor with bolts running through to plating on the outside of the firewall to try and keep the mount from pushing back through the floor. I've got to weld in a new captured nut for the front left rear subframe mount becuse that has torn out. I've got a crack running from that point up towards the gas tank, so that's some seriously compromise structure.

If your interested in a rot free body there is a 91-93 loyale wagon down here in Tolland CT. Its in a junkyard. Its missing the front fenders, lights, grill and possibly the hood now but the actual structure of the car is solid as a rock. I checked it over in all the normal rot areas and its solid. Only has 135,000 too. Bad motor brought it to the scrapper.

Most people, if wheeling a cherokee, a tacoma, and a subaru in the deep snow, would put the subaru in the back, and let the others break the trail... I love that the subaru was the one that had to break trail for the others. Yeah... sounds like it's it a little rough on the body and transmission... I've rarely heard of killing dual range EA82 trannies unless doing a divorced transfer case.

If your interested in a rot free body there is a 91-93 loyale wagon down here in Tolland CT. Its in a junkyard. Its missing the front fenders, lights, grill and possibly the hood now but the actual structure of the car is solid as a rock. I checked it over in all the normal rot areas and its solid. Only has 135,000 too. Bad motor brought it to the scrapper.

I'm bringing a T-wag out from out west in a month, so thanks for keeping an eye out for me, but I'm all ready commited. You can attest to how beat my car is. Fun to drive though.

So I decided to stop by the J/Y on the way home from school. Life's been kinda sucking with my car, and I found a major score today. 2 awesome tires for my truck= $50, and an xt6. Now, the xt6 had already been crushed, but he used the loader to do it, so only the roof and doors caved. This leaves me with EVERYTHING for a 5 lug swap. WOOOT!!!

He's going to pull the car back out of the pile that was getting shipped out tomorrow. It has no motor, and it was a bondo case, but the hubs and brakes are all there. Air suspension that I'm going to leave in there, and a 3.7 diff that I don't think is a LSD. It says Full Time 4wd on the doors. Don't know if it has the tranny in it.

So the 5lug goodies go into my T-wag. Hellyeah. I'm happy even though finals are coming up and my car is dead in the water.

I'm no XT expert at all so others can probably tell you just from that info if it has an LSD or not.
the short answer is it won't be an LSD. there's about a 1% chance of it having one. i've owned about 20 XT6's...and seen a bunch more, and i've never seen an LSD on one (except for the ones that i install!)

you probably don't want the trans, if it's a 3.7 then it's an auto. the manuals were 3.9's.

if you're pulling the parts, take some punches/chisels with you (assuming you don't have that rear bearing tool) so you can back out that rear castle retaining nuts, it's huge. you probably know what i'm talking about. but rust might make that rear control arm a bear to remove. with some punches and chisels you could at least get the inner hub out.

good luck!

That's weird about the GCK's having tripod's for the EA82 axles - the EA81 axles I've got from them weren't built that way at all.

They pretty much dissapeared off the market so I've switched to EMPI axles. No problems yet - brand new, $57 each, no core :headbang:

Sounds like a lot of problems are comming together to create a pretty nasty operating evironment for your transmissions. The fact that the body is starting to flex out of control is going to over-stress things on a regular basis. The front axles do not like bad transmission mounts and loose movement on a regular basis. They get some off-road, but if you have bad mounts and bad axles, ect then you are stressing everything just going down a paved road. That will put years of wear on them in a matter of months.

GD