Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch help?

Well It dont slip in first at all and u have to push the pedal almost all the way to floor to get it to disingage. Im not sure where exactly it releases in 2nd and up... But i dont understand why does it slip in all the other gears but not 1? the gear oil also hasnt been changed for about 5 years the ex owner says, could this be a reason?

A clutch used is a clossal waste of money. Same amount of work either way (in fact almost twice as much since you have to take two cras apart), and odds are that a used clutch isnt going to last long. At the very least if money is tight, a new clutch disc and throw out bearing. uIn all honesty, it really should be a clutch disc, a throw out bearing, a pressure plate, a guide bearing (forgot the proepr name) and slight machining of the lfywheel to break the glaze.

And I dont think it will fit.

nipper

Well the reason is we are already pulling the motor out of his car so i will have it off anyways. and i got my car for only 75 dollars so i dont want to put a bunch of money in to it. were can i find a good deal on a new clutch? (cheap)

Well at some point the car will need a new part of some kind.

Start with subaru, you may be nicely surprised on the price of just a clutch disc. I use 1st subaru. Google them.

nipper

I don't believe, as stated above, that clutch from the wagon will work. Are both engines EA82t? Are they both 5mt trans?

Just buy the new clutch, and keep that Subaru on the road!! If ya only payed $75 for a running car, than it is a good investment IMHO.

DIY and expect to pay around $500+ for everything needed.

Yea seriously you dont want to go through the trouble of doing a clutch swap only to have that used clutch start slipping on you a few thousand miles down the road. Just buy a new clutch kit. I dont think you'll spend more than 300 bucks. For my EA81 the clutch kit was 140 bucks from subaru. Not sure about your wagon.

I don't believe, as stated above, that clutch from the wagon will work. Are both engines EA82t? Are they both 5mt trans?

EA82T clutch is the same as all 4wd EA82 clutches(8 7/8 in.) Manual trans EA82s are all 5spd.

But if his 86 DL sedan is 2wd(which I'm guessing it is) it won't fit. Standard 2wd 5spds use a smaller clutch disc and plate(7 7/8 in.) There where a few TURBO 2wd 5spds, and they use the larger 4wd clutch.

Got it?

That all said, don't waste you're time installing a used clutch. You're not putting money INTO the car(that would imply that you will get money back, which you never will, ever). You're putting money towards you're own transportation. Paying a fee to get to all the places you go. How much i all that transportion worth? Start taking cabs and it will add up quickly to more than a clutch set.

Don't want to go anywhere? Then don't spend the money.

Want you're car to take you places for more than the next 2 months? Spend a little money and do the job right.

Hell, is you're car a 2wd? I have a brand new clutch set for 2wd I will sell you for $85 plus shipping

Nope fairly straightforward. Not to mention all the bolts are very accessable. Just drop your exhaust, unbolt the sway bar, unbolt the starter, unbolt the tranny from the engine, put a jack under the car and unbolt the tranny crossmember, then lower it down and punch out the cotter pins for the half shafts. Then resurface your flywheel, install new clutch...put together in reverse order.

if the car is a FWD 5spd then the 4wd clutch will be to large at the input shaft.

resurfacing the flywheel is not necessary as long as it's not burned up or scored. tou can use one of them round sanding discs thatmount on a drill chuck to clean it up.

the 2wd flywheel has to stay with a 2wd transmission. the 4wd flywheel and clutch will not work unless you swap in the 4wd transmission

and with not much more work than removing the original transmision, you may as well just swap in the 4wd! it will all bolt in the same and you would have all the parts necessary.