Ultimate Subaru Message Board

PCV and Valve Cover Gaskets?

Ok just looking for any bias anyone has about valve cover gaskets and a PCV valve.....such as were to get them?....i usually get all my parts from NAPA and have rarely had a problem.....just wonderin if it really matters were this petty stuff should come from?:)

Subaru only for the PCV - they will have it in stock.

as for valve cover gaskets, i'd use those from anywhere (Fel-Pro's are easy to find and everywhere), but i'd get the kits that have the grommets with them. the grommets are very expensive, over $2 each i believe (from auto parts stores, online, or Subaru). Some valve cover sets dont have the grommets, some do.

Subaru might sell a kit with all the Valve cover gaskets/ gromets included. At

least, they do for my Forester.

I haven't been too impressed with Napa lately. The plug wires they sold me (cost more than OEM) and failed in only a year.I would definately comparison shop.

Subaru might sell a kit with all the Valve cover gaskets/ gromets included. At

least, they do for my Forester.

I haven't been too impressed with Napa lately. The plug wires they sold me (cost more than OEM) and failed in only a year.I would definately comparison shop.

replaced valve cover seals 3k ago on my ea82 wagon with napa's set (with gromets) and they are already starting to seap a bit. same with napa's oil pan and auto trans pan gaskets. i did the installs by the book, stripped and cleaned all surfaces of old gasket material, torqued all bolts to proper lbs/ft, everything just so that i wouldn't have to worry about doing it again any time soon. might just be typical of the engine though, i.d.k. :-\

from now on, i'll go o.e.m. with everything, regardless of price diff.

chris

I believe the valve cover gasket set (comes with gromets) is like 30$ and the PCV is like 5$....by the way im doing this on a 96 legacy ej22 the passanger side rocker cover looks pretty easy to get off.....the drivers side looks like a bi$#%.....is there anything special i HAVE to remove to get the cover off?

Hi. Yes I just did the valve cover gaskets on my '96 2.2L. They're only three bolts each. The RH/passenger side is very easy. The driver side is easy too if you have the battery and washer tank out of the way. I think I removed the oil filler neck (just two bolts - BUT there is some sort of o-ring in there). I replaced the o-ring but it didn't look right so I put a little permatex ultra grey around the mating surface just to be sure.

MAin tip for valve cover gaskets: make sure the area around the valve cover is CLEAN before starting, like blow it off good with compressed air. Any grit around there will promptly fall on the valvetrain otherwise.

I got the Subaru kit that included the two gaskets and six bolt hole washers. No spark plug tube hole seals required since on this engine the holes don't penetrate the valve covers.

VCG AA012 KIT VALVE COVER GASKET SET WITH 6 GROMMETS FOR 90-98 LEGACY 2.2 ALL (for both sides)

valvecovergaskets22L.jpg

RH22-96-1.jpg

Oh and the valve cover bolts torque is low, like 3.7 ft-lb(f). I just gently snug up each bolt and then repeat that a couple times (since as you tighten each one the others might tehn feel a little loose as the gasket compresses a bit). These bolts will snap off pretty easily with much more torque.

I believe the valve cover gasket set (comes with gromets) is like 30$ and the PCV is like 5$....by the way im doing this on a 96 legacy ej22 the passanger side rocker cover looks pretty easy to get off.....the drivers side looks like a bi$#%.....is there anything special i HAVE to remove to get the cover off?

On my 96 2.2L the drivers side was a bit of a bit&ch because the most rearward bolt is real close to the cars frame. I used a 10 mm wrench on this one and a socket ratchet combo on the others. Be ready to get your arms all greasy if you don't wear a long sleeve shirt!

I found it pretty easy to remove the valve covers without removing anything else... even the spark plug wires. It looks like everything is in the way but it isn't. If you leave the oil filler spout on, you can use it as a handle to help you guide the cover out and then back in without any problems.

Another big time saver for me was... The breather hoses on the valve covers wouldn't come off easily. They were sort of grown onto the metal spouts on the valve covers and they're kind of hard to get at. I'm sure I could have got them off with enough time & effort. I found that the other end of the breather hoses both connect to a plastic T fitting (located in the back, top area of the engine) and will slide right off with a slight tug. :) Then just remove the valve covers with the hoses attached. Install them the same way.

My parts came in the master timing belt kit from ebay seller s.giftheimportexperts . I only have about 50 miles on the repairs but so far so good!

he most rearward bolt is real close to the cars frame. I used a 10 mm wrench on this one and a socket ratchet combo on the others. Be ready to get your arms all greasy if you don't wear a long sleeve shirt! [/quote if that's the case and it's like the older EA/ER series engines a ratcheting wrench is a necessity as far as i'm concerned here. they are AWESOME for stuff like this, makes an annoying, lengthy job a breeze like it should be.

he most rearward bolt is real close to the cars frame. I used a 10 mm wrench on this one and a socket ratchet combo on the others. Be ready to get your arms all greasy if you don't wear a long sleeve shirt! [/quote if that's the case and it's like the older EA/ER series engines a ratcheting wrench is a necessity as far as i'm concerned here. they are AWESOME for stuff like this, makes an annoying, lengthy job a breeze like it should be.

that's a great idea! I had one and didn't even think of using it. :cool: